Do peahens display tail feathers?

Boys only fight when there are girls involved especially if they are penned. If they are free ranging the lesser can get away from the dominant one(s). I have been in a barn with over forty mature males and they did not fight because there were no females in there.

Deerman, I came across this form & although it's 7 years old, I'm hoping you're still on here. If not perhaps some1 else might know the answer 2 this on going question that some1 else started. I have 2 peachicks. 1 Indian Blue Shoulder, & 1 white. They r about 18 weeks old. A few months ago the Indian Blue started raising it's little tail,shaking it,& puffing up it's neck although I didn't see any or hear anything of alarm. Do 2 it's display, I assumed "it" was now a him. And the lack of display of "showing off" from my all white 1, I assumed "it"was a girl. Besides the white one, was always bailing the Indian Blue from himself. The blue would eat the hay I would lay in their coop, & 4 some reason, he'd only get the piece of grass half way down, be4 Hero (the white peachick) would step up & come peck at him & pull it out. Yet earlier this week after I fed them, they were free ranging with the chickens & both started 2 hop around each other, followed by them both lifting their little tails & shaking them. So now, I'm thinking the white peachick,(aka Hero) is male. Or do females play by lifting their tail feathers? And do I really have 2 wait 3 years 2 find out what gender they are. Their role playing won't give any kind of hints? Thanks. I'm just super curious.
Sari

Deerman, I came across this form & although it's 7 years old, I'm hoping you're still on here. If not perhaps some1 else might know the answer 2 this on going question that some1 else started. I have 2 peachicks. 1 Indian Blue Shoulder, & 1 white. They r about 18 weeks old. A few months ago the Indian Blue started raising it's little tail,shaking it,& puffing up it's neck although I didn't see any or hear anything of alarm. Do 2 it's display, I assumed "it" was now a him. And the lack of display of "showing off" from my all white 1, I assumed "it"was a girl. Besides the white one, was always bailing the Indian Blue from himself. The blue would eat the hay I would lay in their coop, & 4 some reason, he'd only get the piece of grass half way down, be4 Hero (the white peachick) would step up & come peck at him & pull it out. Yet earlier this week after I fed them, they were free ranging with the chickens & both started 2 hop around each other, followed by them both lifting their little tails & shaking them. So now, I'm thinking the white peachick,(aka Hero) is male. Or do females play by lifting their tail feathers? And do I really have 2 wait 3 years 2 find out what gender they are. Their role playing won't give any kind of hints? Thanks. I'm just super curious.
Sari

Deerman is not going to answer your question as he passed away a few years ago.

Hello Sari,
Both peaboys and peagirls will display.
big_smile.png

Your Indian Blue Black Shoulder looks like a peagirl to me, but it is very hard to tell about white peas until they get older.

Also, perhaps it's not such a good idea to be giving them access to cut hay if your peagirl is eating it and getting it stuck in her throat...

Back
Top Bottom