Do people look at you weird when you say you have pet chickens?

Quote:
YOU GO GIRL!!!!
I do the same thing!! Don't you just love their faces when you ask them that? I usually add that I'd rather eat dog than chicken and really wind them up.
Love my birds, will never ever eat them.

Well, I live in a rural country area, but work in the middle of downtown Phoenix. All my co-workers are amazed that I have horses and chickens. I'm like, the office spectacle. City slickers.. lol
cool.png

Quote:
Why would anyone NOT want a silkie? They are SO freakin cute and so are the Polish. I have neither, but they are adorable, and I have heard silkies are affectionate. It's a better pet than many more traditional ones I can think of.

I just got my first chicken last week and will be getting another this weekend. I do have one friend who is completely astonished and floored that my husband and I have adopted a chicken. He just can't get over how weird it is. I say, "Are you kidding?! Backyard chickens are the fastest growing trend in urban America today. How have you not seen or heard of this? Do you live under a rock?" I still can't convince him this is normal.
hu.gif
Oh well, he better not come knocking on my door when he wants fresh eggs.
big_smile.png

How about pet roosters... in the plural

I have a number of small, fluffy roosters that I'm fond of, one of whom is a genius and has backyard privileges... some other guys who are good natured and who have spectacular tails, and a few others with virtues of their own. When you keep a bunch of roosters you get to appreciate all the different personalities - and if there's no hen in with them, they seem to get along well. I even have a "chill out" pen where small, obnoxious characters are placed under the watchful eye of two Buckeye roosters who just hate it when people fight.

Quote:
What's wrong with kissing chickens? I kiss mine all the time. One of them only needs me to make a kissy noise and she'll lift her beak for me. What I don't get is people who kiss their dogs on the mouth and lets the dogs lick their mouths. How do you know where that tongue's been?
tongue.gif

Quote:
Next time someone says you are going to eat your chickens look them in the eye and say you'll eat their dog/cat first. I got so fed-up with my boss teasing me about my chickens I said that to him. He got the hint. I'm semi-vegetarian, don't eat chicken, won't touch it. Eat very little other meat, mostly fish. I prefer knowing where my food comes from.
I think we chicken lovers are normal, everyone else is weird:plbb

Whenever anyone asks me, ''Do you have any pets?" I always say, "Yup, three chickens and a cat!" For some odd reason, they give me a funny look and say, "CHICKENS?!" I've received a LOT of 'jokes' people think are funny, mostly along the lines of someone eating my girls, and I really don't appreciate these. I find them not funny at all. I usually respond with a dog and cat comment, too!
tongue2.gif

This happens to me all the time!!! A lot of my friends think it's wierd to love chickens, but I don't care what they say, I am still a very proud owner of my babies
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom