Do Roosters Molt?

Ma

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
Camanche, Iowa
Do they? I have a SLW Rooster, 8 months old, sexually mature, who has lost his back feathers over the cold months. His back is not bald, there is signs of fuzzy new growth.

This is only on his back. His cape is gorgeous and beautiful tail (sickle) feathers, wings, etc. This feather loss is directly on the top of his back. Sorry, no pictures. (Technologically handicapped.
roll.png
)

Everyone else is fine, except his hens who have bald backs. But that's due to his over active sex life.
roll.png
Now I have chicken saddles!
smile.png

Is this a common age for Roos to molt? I can't find any literature on this. Everything deals with hens molting.

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Ma

Yep, all chickens molt. The first molt is usually alot less extreme than the second.

It makes a difference as far as when the chick was hatched.

Chicks hatched later in the summer won't molt until the next fall, however early hatched chicks will have a mild to extreme
molt the same year they were hatched.

bigzio

I've been calling our little roo "Stumpy" lately because he molted his tail off...has new feathers coming in, but they're pretty stubby right now.
tongue.png

cjsgrl - they probably have molted, but some birds lose just a few feathers at a time over months and months, so it's barely noticeable, while others blow out their feathers quickly.

Quote:
I'm sure they have, just slowly enough that you didn't notice. Have they taken a break in laying in those 2 years?

Back
Top Bottom