Do Silkie Bantams make good pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why a chicken? Well, I've been raising chickens as pets since I was a child in Puerto Rico. In case u were wondering, I cared for them all on my own and did a darn good job at it. They all lived full happy lives, except the last one whom I lost tragically. Anyway, I don't want a rabbit or a cat. Already had them as pets and the rabbits are boring and the cats I just don't trust. Lol. So, I did find a site where it does allow u to purchase min 5 or even min 3, depending on the breed. Now with what u're telling though I think I'm going to have to resort to plan B and hope they accept. I'll purchase the minimum, take what I need and donate the rest to them. Yup, sounds like a plan. Thank u for ur help. Appreciate it.

Did you raise your chickens in Puerto Rico in your house? Sorry I'm no expert on house chickens, I only have them in my house if they are sick or in the brooder.
I just think chickens should have a life where they can forage and enjoy the sun and dirt and do normal chicken things rather then be cooped up inside a house. My opinion though, others on here do have house chickens and think that is best in their chicken's situation.
Anyway, good luck with it all. Wishing all the best for your chicken's life.

I wouldn't mind that if that his choice but from past experiences they prefer sleeping on my legs. The ones who like sleeping between my legs and behind my knees are the dogs. 😁 Does that answer ur question??
No it doesn't. Just don't force a chicken to sleep under a blanket with you. It will not end well.

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 8.28.11 AM.png

Silkies are fairly skittish especially the younger ones. Over time you bond with them and they become less skittish. I know some people have had silkies live for 12 years! They are friendly which makes the really good for children. If you want chickens to cuddle I’d suggest polish or pekin. But overall they are beautiful, chick wanting, picky, fluffy, little chickens :)
Thanks and I will be giving the Polish & Pekin a check-out.

I have silkies. They are super cute and sweet. Docile, make some noise when laying. My cockerel talks all day (and crows). Some are smarter than others. They do enjoy sitting in your lap and getting some scratches on the neck.
I have other breeds that are smarter though. If you are planning to get one, I recommend getting two, so they have a buddy. They can live up to 9-10 years with good care. They are a little higher maintenance than other breeds. 😊
How exactly are they high in maintenance? Which are the other breeds that u say are smarter?

Silkies, in my experience, aren't very noisy. Life expectancy should be around 7 years with good care. More friendly, docile are breeds are Cochin and D'uccle (but some Cochins can be a bit loud).

Do you have any other chickens?
Can be noisy, chicken talk alot 😁... I have a hen 9.5 years old still laying and healthy so more then 7 years life expectancy I'd say.. Yes Silkies can be friendly and docile but some can be not so friendly, as can other breeds, temperment can vary chicken to chicken.

Are you adding to your current flock? Or starting a new one?

Silkies can be fairly nice, like all chickens some are, some aren't! Chickens in general live 3-10 years depending on a ton of factors, I believe 5-7 is fairly normal. My Cochins were always extremely sweet (my silkies it varied more, but individuals vary a LOT)

Are you buying an adult, or a chick? How old are they? How many are you buying?
Great questions. I'm buying to keep as a pet. I'm getting it as a chick from online...which by the way poses another issue which is that they want me to buy minimum 5 and that's an impossibility. I don't have room for 5 chickens, 2 quails and 2 dogs in my NYC apartment and nor do I want such a huge commitment. With that said, are u aware of any online sites that would allow me to purchase just 1 or 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom