Do these air cells look big? Are they duds?

Brussell93

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2023
Say 22, no sound or movement I could see. Two days ago one was rolling/shaking but haven't seen any movement today from any eggs.
First time trying to incubate in a homemade incubator, still learning. Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20230417_215616456.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230417_215616456.MP.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20230417_215507437.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230417_215507437.MP.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20230417_215729719.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230417_215729719.MP.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 1
Usually, if there is no movement by day 22, I put a safety hole in the air cell and then candle it. It helps let the light in and makes it easier to see.
BEFORE YOU MAKE A SAFETY HOLE
Research article on BYC about the risks and cautions of doing a safety hole

Usually, if there is no movement by day 22, I put a safety hole in the air cell and then candle it. It helps let the light in and makes it easier to see.
BEFORE YOU MAKE A SAFETY HOLE
Research article on BYC about the risks and cautions of doing a safety hole
So I did that on one of the darker ones so I could see and still don't see movement or an internal pip. I'll give it until end of day 23 but I don't think any will be hatching .
Thanks for your advice!

2of the eggs look full and air cells look good
Middle one it’s very hard to tell but looks like a lot of empty space
I myself don’t make safety holes unless I see a beak in the air cell for longer then 24 hours or see a bruise outside the air cell
Some little ones take longer to hatch
Cool spots in the bator can cause delays

2of the eggs look full and air cells look good
Middle one it’s very hard to tell but looks like a lot of empty space
I myself don’t make safety holes unless I see a beak in the air cell for longer then 24 hours or see a bruise outside the air cell
Some little ones take longer to hatch
Cool spots in the bator can cause delays
Good to know. I did a safety hole on one that was too dark to candle and it ended up looking like the blue one as well. But in the middle of the night I heard chirping, still no pips though so we'll give it a few days longer.

We noticed a pip about 11hrs ago, and since then lots of chirping, all from the same guy I think. He's managed to crack the shell and pop a piece off but the membrane still looks intact, is that normal? How long do I wait before I'm supposed to help?
Since we are now on day 23 if I don't see movement from the others soon should I be candling them or just giving up?

Thanks for everyone's recommendations it's much appreciated for this first-timer!

We noticed a pip about 11hrs ago, and since then lots of chirping, all from the same guy I think. He's managed to crack the shell and pop a piece off but the membrane still looks intact, is that normal? How long do I wait before I'm supposed to help?
Since we are now on day 23 if I don't see movement from the others soon should I be candling them or just giving up?

Thanks for everyone's recommendations it's much appreciated for this first-timer!
Just leaves them alone for now. The pip is a good sign. The less you handle them the better off they'll be

Yea that’s normal
24 hours if nothing they say

Back
Top Bottom