Do you do a family Christmas letter?

I think the bitterness rearing its ugly head is just jealousy. Really, you laugh at the bragging ones, say "so that's what that was about" to the more honest ones, and be grateful you have people who want to share a piece of themselves with you.

I think the bitterness rearing its ugly head is just jealousy. Really, you laugh at the bragging ones, say "so that's what that was about" to the more honest ones, and be grateful you have people who want to share a piece of themselves with you.

LOL...exactly! We do usually get one really braggy letter a year, but that one provides the most amusement because we KNOW so-and-so is in rehab and what's-is-name hasn't worked in 2 years, etc...

The other letters are usually cute and funny. Maybe my inlaws are just really good writers...
big_smile.png

I didn't read all the posts. I've gotten a number of these over the years and some are just downright repulsive because you know that the author is consciously trying to tell you that their life has topped yours. Just repulsive. I don't save them and forget about them people for another year. Just sayin.

Quote:
LOL...exactly! We do usually get one really braggy letter a year, but that one provides the most amusement because we KNOW so-and-so is in rehab and what's-is-name hasn't worked in 2 years, etc...

The other letters are usually cute and funny. Maybe my inlaws are just really good writers...
big_smile.png

I agree, some letters are lousy simply because the people that write them are terrible writers or don't ask themselves how the readers will perceive what they've written. I have a cousin that is very clever in her letters and they're a joy to read--she picks some theme and goes with it each year.
BTW, I enjoy the letters, even the bragging and depress ones, a lot more than some of the same kind of threads that appear in this section.
lol.png

There is one letter we get every year that I do laugh at - not because it's awful, but because the author always chooses really pretty Christmas paper to put it on and then tries to condense four pages of letter into the space of one page. The font is so tiny that only plankton could read it. I laugh because I imagine the consternation of all her elderly relatives with bad eyesight when they get that letter...I imagine they have a high powered magnifying glass set aside just for reading her letter each year. Or maybe a microscope.

I wrote one for many years but not so in the last few. When my kids were young it was a way to keep in touch with relatives/friends that didn't get to see them too often and to keep them updated on our lives. I always tried to keep them comical as well as informative. I received many "thanks for the letters" and "I enjoy your letters and look forward to them each year" from several people but I was always a little self conscious because DH just wasn't into the idea of family letters. He thought they were corny and made several replies to that affect. Hence, self consciousness.

I had an old friend who several years ago moved to Germany (her husband transferred with his company) and her letters were the most bragging/obnoxious I have ever read. They were filled with their ski trips to the alps and how well their kids were doing in their "german only" speaking school with special emphasis on the fact that no other american kids did as well as theirs. Also about one of the many trips across Europe they were going to take next and the fact that they thought nothing at all about leaving a 2nd & 3rd grader ALONE in a Switzerland ski lodge while Mom & Dad did the slopes ALL DAY. "They know well enough to not talk to strangers so they're safe" was the big line in that story.

Some letters we've received over the years aren't well written but the message is usually a good one. They care enough to keep in touch with us and want to hear back from us as well. I trust my judgement that tells me a letter is intentionally "braggy" because knowing the author it usually is just that. Braggy writers intent is usually to let you know how much better off they are doing then you are. Personally, I think it's kinda sad when someone has to brag so much but I get mad when I hear stuff like the kids were left alone in a ski lodge all day while the parents checked in on them at 10am and 5pm when they went home!!! In fact, it got to the point when I could only read her letters when I knew I didn't have to go anywhere for awhile (to allow for rant time!)

I certainly don't begrudge anyone finer things or experiences than what I have but when I get the feeling they are shoving it down my throat, it's a little hard to take. I don't sense any particular bitterness from people that have responded negatively to this thread because the fact is some letters are aggravating and the negative responses have nothing to do with jealousy (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!).

BTW I haven't heard from the braggy Europe romping "friend" in years and I'm just fine with that
celebrate.gif
I'm sure her kids will be the ones to find a cure for cancer, build the first human habitable space station on Mars, invent flying vehicles like they had on the Jetsons and so on. I'm fine with that too
clap.gif

Last edited:
I generally do not write a Christmas newletter, but I will this year. There have been some really major changes in my life this year and a newsletter will be the simplest way to update friends and family.

Back
Top Bottom