Do you feed your chickens meat....(like chicken)?

Quote:
I'm more grossed out by knowing what goes into commercial chicken feed.
sickbyc.gif

Gritty, please never tell me what is in it. Kinda like hotdogs....I don't wanna know.
hide.gif

Exactly. There's a reason I don't eat hot dogs. Or chicken feed for that matter.
tongue.png

I never gave chicken or any meat for that matter to my chickens, just never thought about it. (But, now I Will since it appears to be Okay for them to have.) ~>>I DO feed Pork Rines to our Pig & hard boiled Duck Eggs to my Ducks.

Quote:
We must have read the same book!
lol.png

What was it? Something like 31 ingredients in a chicken mc nugget, one of which is a known carcinogen? Nope, not feeding that to my chickens.

Dude...(Super Size Me) changed my life. Have you ever seen that documentary? It's the one where the guy ate McDonalds for a month and almost DIED. He started having LIVER problems because of the high fat diet. I just can't do it anymore, I throw up when I even think about fast food. I have not eaten McDonalds or ANY fast food for that matter, in like 2 years...That stuff is literally POISON in every sense of the word. Us americans these days are just slowly poisoning ourselves...It really makes absolutely no sense at all...
hmm.png

My chickens get a variety of meats, chicken included! They need the protein, meat is protein...it's a win-win situation. And they lay the best eggs in return. How could I NOT give them something they seem to love?

My biggest shock on the meat thing was bbqs last yeah, I was trying to feed titbits to my cats, who were mortified when the chickens started pinching it off them!

The main reason why I start raising chickens was because I wanted healthier eggs. Meat is one of the most important ingredient in a chicken's natural diet (earth worms, bugs...etc) however chicken meat is not a natural ingredient for chickens. Of course they love the meat and go crazy for it. Their body needs that protein and since they live in confined areas and have no access to bugs, it's up to us to supplement the meat. I give my chickens very small quantities of meat every now and then, even thou I know how much they love it. Since my chickens are feed on scratch and kitchen scrap (vegetables, fruits, pasta, and rice) I prefer to give them scrambled eggs for the protein supplement and the meat is just a rare treat. I try to keep them free range an hour/day and that's when they get their chance to look for bugs.

PS: did you know that all major chicken farms (like Perdue and Tyson) used grind up chicken in their feed (that's the crude animal protein). The rest of ingredients are corn and other ingredients (vitamins...etc)
Basically in the chicken processing plant after the chickens are cut, process, and prepared for US food market any chicken parts that can not be sold (the feet are sold to China) go in a big grinding machine and process for chicken food that will supply all the chicken farms employed by Perdue or Tyson. I know this from a trusted source who actually works in a Perdue processing plant. Nothing is thrown away. They feed chickens with..... chickens. There is still a big dispute regarding Salmonella cases in US caused by "animal protein" fed to animals. The food industry is the most powerful industry in America and as long they will remain a power, this will never be accepted as a fact.
It's only up to the ordinary individual to select the little information we have and decide how and what we want to eat. I can't afford to eat everything organic, but the few things I have control on I try to keep it as natural as possible

Last edited:
Quote:
While I agree with you on every point....(and remember Taz didn't want to know what goes into commercial chicken feed
wink.png
)
My chickens free range all day long and STILL love chicken. I don't go out of my way to provide it for them, but if it's in the leftovers that I save for them, they get it.

Better than watching those documentaries mentioned (and I have) read The Omnivores Dilemma. Forget the commercial chicken and eggs, you'll look twice at your feed lot beef.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom