Do you feed your chickens meat....(like chicken)?

My girls get a lot of chicken and turkey. We don't eat much red meat so that is what we eat. They have not tried fish (kids and hubby love it there is never left overs lol). I do think it us a little off but it is good for them and they are animals. There is not really a moral issue.

I give mine left over meat that the cat don't get. I always toss the turkey carcass in the coop or split it up between the coop and pens. We occasionally get the left overs from the local quick stop and "divey" them out like treats. Our local store charges by the bag of food which usually isn't much $$$. They sell it rather than toss it out at night. Mine get more than just poultry as meat. They get hamburgers, hotdogs, breakfast sausage, fish.

Ms.FuzzyButts :

I feed mine chicken and turkey all the time and they love it... Nothing is funnier (and twisted) to me than seeing a chicken run a wide open sprint across the yard with a chicken leg in it's mouth.....
gig.gif

lau.gif

Quote:
Ho

Does it count if I took mine to KFC on the way home from the feed store?

I haven't tried meats yet. Gonna have to try when the kids aren't around

I'm a bit freaked out by feeding the chickens chicken. I did it once. I gave them leftover stir-fry, with chunks of chicken meat in it. My banty rooster choked on a piece of chicken! It got stuck in his throat, but he could still breath. He couldn't get that piece of meat down or up so I had to pull it out of his beak, and up out of his throat. A cat ran off with the meat after that.

I've fed mine ground beef and stuff like that, but I avoid given them poultry, its just weird to me. I do give them eggs though, so I guess I shouldn't be so bothered. Maybe I'll try it again, but no stir fry this time!

I gave my 11 wk old girls our scrapings from the dinner plates last night: Turkeyburger helper and spinach. This was their first taste of "people food". They loved it. Even ate it out of a tray I was holding, and my girls (well, one is really a boy but that's another story...) are really skittish. Haven't seen them love food like that since they caught a dragonfly. They really love meat!

Read my signature. Yep, they WILL eat you!

I actually stopped giving my flock meat scraps, the reason being that the tiny bits left on the ground, grease/oil, etc. might attract predators. Too many possums, racoons and foxes use their noses really well.
hmm.png

We don't feed ours poultry. I know it would be good for them and there would be far less waste but my family and I get a tiny bit squeamish. I do, however, sneak a little salami out every once in a while. Good protein.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom