Do you give your chickens yogurt?

Do you feed your chickens dairy products (milk, yogurt, cheese, ect.)?

• Yes

Votes: 33 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Never tried it before, but would if I had extra

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters
Plain yogurt is my girls absolute favorite treat! I make mine from scratch. I had a batch that came out "grainy" because I heated the milk too fast, so I gave it in small portions to my dog and to the chickens. The hens LOVED it!!! They look SO disappointed whenever I take them anything else now. Sometimes I add oats and/or mealworms to it and they yum it up. Practically fly up into the bowl to get to it! Never had any issues with it and my girls are super healthy. (I only have two hens at the moment.)

In humans, dairy causes constipation.
This is not true. If it gives you constipation, that doesn't make it a general rule about humans.

I have occasionally given my chickens yogurt as a treat, mixed with their crumble. It's not a regular thing though because I make my own yogurt and can barely keep up with the family's needs, I don't need extra work added to my plate just to feed the chickens yogurt as well.

I used to make kefir, I never thought about giving it to the chickens! What method do you use and what flavors?
Just regular milk kefir - I don’t flavor it, though when I eat it I often make fruit smoothies with it. I use kefir grains and make it in mason jars on the countertop. Turning milk into kefir uses up the lactose which I understand is the cause of most dairy intolerance.
I freeze it and give it to the chickens as an iced treat when it is hot. Lots of calcium, protein and probiotics.
They really love it as you can see in this video (if I can make the link work).

Back
Top Bottom