Do You Have Snow? Snow Storm 2010. We Want To See Pics...

We were going to go sking but there is TOO MUCH snow
ep.gif

Island hill sets world snow record
With 2.5 metres in 48 hours, resort now has deepest snowpack of any hill on the planet
By John Colebourn, The Province December 26, 2010 '

Skiers and snowboarders are on top of the world at Mount Washington.

The Vancouver Island ski resort has been hit with so much snow, the area now has the deepest snowpack of any ski resort in the world.

"All the cars up here are buried and the lodge is buried with all the snow," said Mount Washington's Brent Curtain of the resort's Christmas Day conundrum.

The mountain near Comox had 2.5 metres of snow over a 48-hour period, now bringing the base on the slopes to a whopping 510 cm. (about 200 inches, approx 16 ft)

By comparison, Aspen in Colorado has a 168 cm base, while Mammoth in California comes close with a mid-mountain base of about 177 cm.

I'm in Georgia at about 2000 ft elevation in the Blue Ridge mtns. These were taken late yesterday, but it's been snowing lightly all night long and is still flurrying, even though the sun finally came out. Looks like about 8 inches on top of the buildings now.

DSCN0684.jpg

DSCN0683.jpg

Sorry, no photos yet, but it's a mess out there. Snow has finally stopped falling after 24 hours at least, very high winds all night long, drifts of four feet against one side of the garden, barely an inch in places, my six girls are miserable hunched up in their coop refusing to come out so I shut them back in with the heat lamp on. I was scared they'd all be dead this morning, it was that bad last night, sounded like we would lose the roof also.

I just went out to take some pictures and to make sure the girls haven't killed each other. I'm going to venture out soon, I have an appointment to get my studded snow tires put on and an oil change and I need to get some groceries. But first, le pictures.

I tried to go around to take pictures of the front yard... but instead I got stuck.
46869_footprints_in_the_snow.jpg

So instead I took a picture of my kitchen garden area in back. :
46869_side.jpg

And I guess I've learned that in heavy blowing storms I need to close the vents better:
46869_vent_oops.jpg

This is due to the plowed snow:
46869_woodpile.jpg

And before for scale:
46869_img_2402.jpg

somehow or another the snow all missed us here in this part of maryland and i am sooooooooooooo very grateful! We do however, have lots of family up in Maine,Massachusetts, Conneticut and Rhode Island..........love them but am exceedingly glad we are not currently up there visiting them!

Great pictures everyone. Now I know why I live in Florida. But we are transplants. Lived in Washington State most of my life and my wife lived in Canada so we are both very familiar with snow. Sometimes we miss it but don't think our aching bones would handle it any more.
Keep them coming!

Back
Top Bottom