do you prefer purebreds or mutts?

technodoll

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Would you rather have a coop full of pure chickens, mutts or a mix of both?

(by mutts, I mean a cross of two purebreds)

I'm partial to both... curious to see what crossing certain breeds together will produce as offspring (both looks and egg-laying qualities), I start my first incubation in a few days and most eggs in the 'bator are "on purpose" crosses.

However I do love the look and predictability of purebreds so I want both in my flock!

You?

D.gif

Both. I like the purebreds, but I too am interested in what the crosses will create. I want to work on some olive eggers and I'm going to make some black sex links for my oldest son. And I find myself wondering what the offspring of my welsummer roo and my light brahma would look like.

I've gotten to the point where I don't care, I just want as many different colors as possible.

I suppose I do prefer being able to give a clear answer when someone asks what kind a particular chicken is. Even with crummy hatchery birds, it sounds more impressive to people who aren't that into chickens when you tell them something like, "Well, that's a Brahma, an Asiatic breed originating from the Brahmaputra district of India . . . yada yada yada. " You can't really do that with mutts.

Quote:
Hah, just watch me go in a few months:

"That's a Sulkie, originating from my back yard, and that's an Easter Leghorner, and oooooh that one over there is a Silcochin..."
lol.png

Purebreds never mixed. I like all cochins and lighter breeds. Mostly White. Someday I wasnt all white chicjens, Leghorns langshans cochins javas rocks japenese ext all white :)

Both. I love varitey
smile.png

I just hatched out some beautiful blue Easter Egger x Blue Orpington babies. Should grow up to be big, beautiful birds. Curious to see what color eggs they lay, and how many.
22798_blue_ee_chicks_1.jpg

Last edited:
do you prefer purebreds or mutts?

Personally, I favor well-breds regardless of their lineage. Given a choice thereafter, Ill take purebreds any day.

Last edited:
I like to have both. There are many pros and cons to both. I like the pure breeds for what they are breed for, but definitely the predictability. I don't show but like to have pure breeds with at least average quality. The crosses (mixes, mutts, or whatever you want to call them) I like most for variations(like color), unpredictability, egg laying, hardiness, and things of that nature. Congrats to all those that have the room to house many different pure breeds. I on the other hand can only house a few, this is where the crosses come in to keep my want to a minimum and allows me to have a variety. Because if I could have as many pure breeds as I would like I would have to have a chicken ranch.
lol.png
And I don't see that ever happening. But if I did I would still have a Mixed coop.

Back
Top Bottom