Do you regret the name/names you gave your children?

i'm hilary. my whole life i've had to tell people, "i'm hilary with one 'L'." the names i plan for my maybe children will make them miserable
smile.png
difficult spellings and pronunciations and all! i love telling people how to spell my name. am i a horrible person?

I don't regret naming any of my kids, except maybe my first DS. I named him Tyler, I had not met any other Tyler's at the time. With the next year or so, the name was in the top ten.
th.gif
As a teen he used the alias Hawthorn. It fits him so much better. He doesn't use it as a adult though. I had three real kids, and named the other kids I needed to choose not to have. I really miss those kids now. I named each one about the time they would have been born. Their names have never changed. My favorite of those names is Skara Brae.

The daughter we lost was named Kaitlyn Shea.

I didn't know that my name was Christina until about half way through kindergarten.
hide.gif
I can't remember ever knowing that I had more name, than the name I had been called by for over 5 years.
rant.gif
I do like it though, and I really wasn't a Tina after all. I am just to tall for it. It is also much better than my sisters name. It the story was told that it was a choice between Clementine, or Harriette. I still don't like either name very well. I do love my sister's middle name of Caroline.

I have always liked my name, Heather, but I used to wish I could have a cool nickname.
tongue.png

I love all of my children's names! We decided before we even got married we would have Olivia and Sophia if we ever had two girls, so our oldest is Olivia Michelle (after my best friend Michelle) and the next is Sophia Ryann (because it was different and pretty). My husband has a mentor that he is really close to, so we wanted to use Dale as a middle name. It didn't fit with the name we had chosen (Declan), so about a week before our oldest son was born I found his name and left it up to DH which one we would use. After he was born, the nurse asked what his name was and hubby said Rylan Dale. We used Declan (an ancient Gaelic name meaning "man of prayer") for the next one, and gave him the Scottish spelling of "Niall" (pronounced Neal/Neil) for his middle name.
big_smile.png

my Grandmother once told me to go outside and scream first/middle/last name at the top of your lungs. Do it over and over again. lol

I don't regret my kids names. Elizabeth Nichole and Alexandra Cozette.

I am fine with my name but wish I had a middle name. My sister on the other hand... First she proclaimed that she had been accidentally switched in the hospital (totally ignoring the obvious resemblance to our dad) and then she legally switched her name at age 18. And then again in her mid-30ies. Every time a lot of paperwork involved and a new passport
lol.png

No regrets, but one of my daughters has mentioned several times that she wants a different name.

I have:
Jordan Dale Gage (poor kid has 4 names total) We call him Jordan, but he wants to be called Gage, says it doesn't sound like a girl's name.
Joslyn De'Shae (This child does not like her name)
Jasmine De'Nae (This child doesn't care either way)

I've never liked my name. I like my middle name, Lynn, though; it fits me. My mom wanted to name me Theodora! I wish she did, but my dad didn't like it (why???) so for some odd reason they named me...Diana. (Lynn is after my mom's professor in college)

Sometimes I wonder if my mom regrets naming me Evelyn, as it was my paternal grandmother's name and she and my father are divorced. I don't know what her feelings were for my grandmother.
But I personally like my name. It's old-fashioned, but not boring, and kinda quirky, all like me.
lol.png
(At least, I hope I'm not boring.
lol.png
)
And since I never knew my grandma, I like to have her name.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom