Do you regret the name/names you gave your children?

I didn't like the name my parents picked for me when I was a lil girl but now I love it. It is not too uncommon but different Amber Renee' and the ' is on my birth certificate. I am the only person with my full name in the world that I have found even when I search dropping the middle name so I feel unique.

DH's has a wonderful name and I love it but am sworn never to put his name on the internet.

I wanted to name one of our boys Seamus but my husband wouldn't let me. I suppose it's for the best, there is no way most people would pronounce that correctly!

I so want to share a stoery, but that would give away my DD full name so I won't post that on the web... But let me tell you it's a funny story..
lau.gif

I don't mind my name. Kaitlyn, or Catelyn is fairly common around here, but my mom decided to spell it Kaitlin. I love my middle name ,Victoria, just because I love the Victorian era, and the life of Queen Victoria.

The only thing that gets annoying is that I constantly have to tell people how to spell my name.

I constantly change names I would pick out for kids, but I have always liked Dakota for some reason.

Last edited:
I love my name.
big_smile.png
Most people call me Katie...okay, everybody calls me Katie, except my Doctor and teachers, but my real name is Caitlin. I like Katie better though. It suits my personality.
tongue.png

Last edited:
I've doomed my daughter to a lifetime of having to spell her name and always being called a different name.

Her name is Fianna Beatrice. Her first name is Gaelic, meaning "warriors" or "soldiers" (actually the name of a political party in Ireland). It should be pronounced "FEE-nah" but we call her the Anglicized "Fee-AH-nah"

And thus she is always called Fiona (which actually SHOULD be pronounced Finn-ah but no one in the US ever uses the proper pronunciation)

My husband and I had picked out Fianna for a girl, he liked the name when he saw it in a book on Celtic mythology I had laying around (and he obviously didn't read close enough to know it was a PLURAL!). We had thought something Norse, but his last name is so obviously German that we hesitated with that, fearing that everyone would assume she wouldn't speak English.

When I was pregnant, a guy friend who I worked with and I were working together one day when an Amish family came into the fast food restaurant we worked at. He overheard that one of the women in the family was called "Erta." He said he liked it and suggested that Wayne and I name our daughter that, I said no, especially since we planned on using the German spelling of Beatrice at the time. Beatrice in honor of Wayne's mother.

"Josh, I'm not naming ANY daughter of mine Erta Beatriz Gruebner. No one will ever think that she speaks English!"

I just imagined that if she was ever introduced to anyone when she got older, she would be greeted with a very slow and overly enunciated, "Hell-oh, how are you? Do you like Ah-Mer-Ick-A?"

My mum's very happy with my name. She originally just picked a random one, but became a Christian after I was born: oh, how lucky that my name just happened to be straight out of the Bible!

Back
Top Bottom