Do you regret the name/names you gave your children?

feather and mountain man

Corn fed Indiana farmgirl
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
This question was asked on the radio the other day and I thought it was interesting.

I don't I have four children and still love their names. My oldest was named after a rock star and still love it, it is unusual and awsome. The secound was a family name, named after both grandfathers and father. The third was a name I choose as a lil girl and knew I would use the name. The fourth is a name I always loved and is a biblical name. I would never regret the names I chose.

I some parents that have regretted the names they choose. I know a young man named Hemann and a girl named Rocker.
idunno.gif
Not names I would like at all.

So do you regret or not.
pop.gif

Quote:
I think it's more important to ask if people regret the names they were given. I know that while I don't have a problem with my name in and of itself (Christopher), I'm not a fan of WHY I was given that name.

My surname is of Scottish derivation, but in the USA, it's more commonly found among Jewish people. My mother wanted to name me David. Her mother-in-law (my paternal grandmother) wouldn't allow it, because "heaven forbid" someone thinks her grandson is Jewish. "With a last name like ___, you have to be extra-careful to make sure people know he's not a Jew...I loved the name Bruce, but I had to name my son Robert Bruce for the same reason" was what my grandmother told my mother, so "Christopher" went onto my birth certificate.

It's a little bit of small-minded disgusting-ness that's permanently attached to why I have my name, and for that reason, I'd rather to have just been named "David."

hmm.png

That is a good question too but maybe parents regret the name they gave their kids because of peer pressure from other people at that time.

I've seen articles on Yahoo lately about this topic. I think people pay too much attention to what others are naming their kids or what their friends and family think of the name. I believe the choice should be between the parents (and family IF they want the help) and the rest of the folks should just butt out and keep their negative opinions to themselves.
And PLEASE stop paying so much attention to what the celebs are naming their kids. They're paid to be weird and odd and unusual. And more than likely, their kids names are different on the birth certificates than what's in the tabloids... Same as the parents.

I never made a secret out the fact that i dont like my sons middle name . My husband gave him the middle name Orion, which is ok for americans, i guess. But in germany its chain of adult stores.... for our youngest i would have loved the name Audrey, but i love Samantha too. As a bonus her initals are SAM, her nickname and the firstthree letters of her firsy name. BTW our kids a re name Taylor Ann 10, Sebastian Orion ( my choice was Garry Owen) 8 and Samantha Alexandria 6.

I have two sons, Nick and Joe. I love their names. I named my oldest Nicholas Michael_____the middle name being after my husband's first name.

Then Joseph came along, and my husband picked that name, and I loved it, however, I wanted his middle name to be Ray, like my middle name and my dad's middle name. (I'm female, but my mom gave me my dad's middle name, spellling it like the male version.)

Anyhow, my selfish husband named him behind my back, and gave him a different middle name. That made me very sad and a bit angry....Nice feelings for a new mom to experience.

But as for their first names, I like them. Nicholas and Joseph. Nice boy names, I think.

I always hated my own name though, Sharon.....It sounds to me like a plain, dull name.....Always wished I had the name Jessica, or maybe Carrie.
hmm.png

My parents like my name. I dont really though because I'm named after my UNCLE. Casey can be both, but it gets annoying at family functions (which is pretty often) I'm mostly known as Casey Morgan or just Morgan but my uncle still calls me BOB..
roll.png
I really like my middle name though and I'm glad my dad calls me that!

I love my kids' names. We did go with a more common spelling for our oldest son (Ian), but wish we had gone with our first choice (Iain). We were concerned that people wouldn't be able to pronounce it but it turns out plenty of people can't pronounce it as it is.
roll.png
I still love his name though!

Our youngest has an unusual name and we love the meaning of it. His name is Tavis which means "son of David". David is my husband's name. People constantly think his name is Travis, but we understand why that happens and it doesn't bother us. We don't bother to correct people unless it's someone we will see again.

When I was a kid, I wished my name (Heather) was more unusual, but I am perfectly happy with it now.

Nope, no regrets. My son's name is straight out of the bible. Samuel Benjamin. I only regret hat I didn't go with a third name, Samuel Benjamin Grant. The Grant being from my father... I thought it would be a little pretentious considering his first name is shortened to Sam.

But other than that? No, no regrets!

As for name? I really wish it were shorter and that it hadn't caught on the way it has. Seems a LOT of little girls are named Stephanie nowadays. I only ever knew one other Stephanie until after I graduated from HS... My regrets are pretty mild really. I got lucky being born in the late 60's, I could have named Potluck or Bong or somesuch.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom