Do you SMOKE and want to GIVE UP ?????

Yeah, I tried the patch and it was AWFUL!!! I could actually feel it going through my veins and it HURT. The gum made sores in my mouth. However, I saw something new the other day....a losenge I think. I may try that. Also, as mahonri pointed out, there are meds that can help, too. I have never tried that route.

So, Mark is the official "Cheer Meister" (please tell me someone else has watched the Jim Carey version of Grinch) of this quit group.
woot.gif

Congrats to all the previous quitters who have posted. I hope we will be among your group soon. I also plan to lose a few pounds and do some firming up for the new year. I am sure my list will grow between now and then too.
smile.png

Starting to excercise before quitting would be good. It will keep the
pounds off, distract you, and make the idea of putting smoke in your
lungs gross.

When I finally quit I also was working an office job. I was 170 pounds
from 15 to 30 but blew up to 220 after quitting. It took a while and
lots of kayaking but I got back to 190 where I've been for a while.

luv, the gum gave me a few sores at first but it stopped after a few weeks.
I never tried the patch.

The great thing about the gum was that instant gratification thing
combined with a dose of nicoteine.

After a while I would cut each piece into 6 sections with my pocket knife.
Even a tiny little piece did the trick.

I wanna comment quick on cold turkey and relapsing. Almost every
quitter, regardless of the method they use, fails several times.
THAT IS OK. You are just practicing for when you do actually quit.

I know people who haven't smoked in years who still carry a pack
around with them.

Put me down also! I've smoked for 30+ years and have you beat at 2 sometimes 2/12 packs a day. Doctor told me I'm a highly nervous person and would need medical help to calm down. Don't see that dr. anymore.
I've tried welbutron and celexa. Celexa really helped stop the cravings. But the side effects finally made me get off of it. Plus insurance won't pay for it. Each state has a stop smoking program though. You might income qualify for help in buying different things. Including gum and lozenges.
I've tried the slow down method. Don't work for me. It'll have to be cold turkey. As long as I stay on my hormones my DH shouldn't be to scared.
lol.png

I agree with PurpleChicken, I had tried to quit and did quit (for 3 weeks at the longest) several times, but I always started back. I had a heart attack in September at the age of 29. It got me to thinking about alot, so I decided I was going to quit for good this time, and so far (just over 3 months now) I have. The first month was the hardest, but now I don't even want a cigarette. It can be done, you just have to really want to quit. Now if I could get my wife to quit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another good idea is to shampoo furniture, carpets, cars. Wash walls.....whatever it takes to get the smoke smell OUT. This not only helps you avoid the reminders but you feel CLEAN about things.....and it encourages you to stay on the wagon.

YAYYYYYYYYYYYY another person to the group!!! This is so good! I think it will help just knowing there are others trying at the same time. My husband will be here the entire month of January and I might be able to get him to try, too. I know he wants to and would hate to think his smoking was making it harder for me to quit. Having him home will help, too. A little less stress than managing the house/kids alone. If I can make it through January, surely I can STAY quit.

Good luck to you all. I quit about 5 years ago and it was one of the toughest things I ever did. Took a long time cutting down.
I loved the patch. I had the most vivid entertraining dreams I've ever had in my life. Think technicolor on steriods. Sometimes I think I should go back on them for recreation. Kidding, but now that I think about it. hmmm!
One day I just heard a voice in my head say put them down now and you'll never pick them up again. So I did and didn't. Best thing I've ever done. The cravings will decrease with time. Took me about 2-3 years before I could say that I'd never smoke again. I was a heavy chain smoker-maybe 2-3 packs a day, for 25 years. Plus I was so embarrassed to constantly be hacking.
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! You won't regret it.
Imp/Russ

Best of luck to all of you. Quitting smoking was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Slowing down never worked for me. Cold turkey, on the 10th try worked. I thought I was going to have a permanent personality change, but after about two weeks I started coming out of the witchy phase. Find something else to do with your hands. Knit, crochet, whittle something. Its going to be 20 since I quit on January 1. You can do it too!

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Alright guys, I'm in!
barnie.gif

I have never tried to quit, I have smoked for 11 years. I am 26 years old. I HATE the smell of my clothes, HATE the smell of my hair and HATE the fact that my kids see me do it all the time!!

I will most likely buy some patches, I am sure that I will need something to help.
th.gif
Please bear with me cause I will be HORRIBLE!!
th.gif

Congrats and good luck to those trying to put them down. I know it is a hard battle. I have not smoked a cigarette since June. I still crave them but I fight the urge. Every time I think about them I think of mom and the cost of them. I recently lost my mom to lung cancer. I saw a once very active women become wheelchair bound and then die due to them. They are not going to take me like that. I hope no one here has has to suffer like that either.

Back
Top Bottom