Do you talk to your chickens?

• Yes, and they talk back

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Yes, but they never talk back

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, are you crazy?!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
When I had roosters, I would crow at them during the day to get them all crowing (we lived in the middle of nowhere and there wasn't anyone around to mind).
smile.png
It was also fun to copy their "buck-awk!" call of alarm and get the whole flock going. By copying their noises and watching their reactions, I learned a lot about how they communicated with each other.

The best thing, though, was to hear them on the roost at night singing and clucking to the hens as if they were discussing their day. I tried not to interrupt them when they were doing that; I'd just stand outside the coop and listen.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I do that too!!!!! I crow at my roosters and they crow right back. I also love to bah-kawk and then get them going too!!!!!

Last edited:
I tell them all good night when I close the barn door and
I most always tell the girls "hi hen" when they are out during
the day free ranging.

Of course the rooster, "Mr. Roo" as i call him have a rather
lenghtly discussion because he always follows me around
in the yard. I saved his life and he has never forgotten.

Oh gosh, yes. Just like I talk to every other living creature. I even talk to spiders and snakes I encounter.

My girls will come over and ask "Wuuuuk????". I, of course, reply, "Wuuuuuk". I wish I knew what I told them. . .

I remember reading someplace that if the chickens' inflection goes up at the end like a question, they are happy. Seems to be true.

My former stray gets a lot of talking from me.... "no, you can't leave the run" "Leave my necklace alone" "Don't give me that look" are the most common. The roo, soon to be dinner, gets 'shut up and quit complaining' 'think crowing at me will get you out of solitary?' 'I just fed you, you'll live'. The new pullets get chirped at until they cock their heads sideways and decide to come as close as they dare.

Of course I hold conversations with them. Otherwise I might hafta talk to my family for once, which never works out well in this strong minded bunch.

Come on there isn't anything better than having a bunch of chooks surrounding you letting you tell them about your day while they demand bread and scratch in return for being patiently listening.

I think my turkey likes telling me about his day best though, always comes up to me chattering away for a bit before I try to sneak away to which he scolds me for.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Oh yes I cluck, bawk, crow and AWWWAAAAHHH (ninja chicken noise) at the chickens and I gobble at the turkeys and I nnnaaaaa at the goat. I also meow at the cats and say "woof" to the dogs...
And I'm a "talker" to human kind too LOL
I guess I just have a big mouth? although my dentest says I have a small mouth, I told him to go tell my husband that and Doc just laughed at me
duc.gif
old.gif
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom