Do your chickens peck at your shoes and clothes?

I was hand feeding my new pullet yesterday and she decided to check out my fingers. Fortunately they were attached to my hands and she could not pull them off.

:gig

My girls line up at the gate when they see me coming and wait for me to open the bottom latch on the run gate so they can peck my fingers. Brats. I'm working on curbing that little ritual...

And my Cochin isn't much of a pecker. More of a biter - even when eating. She just sorta goes at everything with an open beak.

My girls line up at the gate when they see me coming and wait for me to open the bottom latch on the run gate so they can peck my fingers. Brats. I'm working on curbing that little ritual...

And my Cochin isn't much of a pecker. More of a biter - even when eating. She just sorta goes at everything with an open beak.

My lead hen loves to test my pinkie toe from time to time as well. Luckily it too is attached.

Just curious about this behavior, which is fairly new. When I go into the run to clean up, visit my girls or whatever, the chickens flock around me, and peck at my clothes and even shoes. They'll stand on my feet to get at my pants. No harm to me, but I'm curious- is this typical behavior?

Yessssss all the time I love it
Y

To make matters worse, I was holding a large rooster at the time, and (this was awhile ago) I was 12 and small for my age, so I couldn't even see my feet to dodge the chickens! I wasn't wearing red nail polish, I think it was just the shininess that got their attention. Last time I went in the neighbor's chicken run with nail polish on.
I'll have to remember this thread in future, I have a toe ring now that I almost never take off, and I'd hate to have that attacked by beaks. Ouch. I do take it off when I go wading in the ocean- don't want a crab or fish mistaking it for something edible.

Just curious about this behavior, which is fairly new. When I go into the run to clean up, visit my girls or whatever, the chickens flock around me, and peck at my clothes and even shoes. They'll stand on my feet to get at my pants. No harm to me, but I'm curious- is this typical behavior?

I am wondering this too, as mine really like the girls' robes (that's what they wear out there with their muck boots in the morning) and think the little fairies on their jammie pants look like bugs or something. Girls' legs got bruised a couple times (to be fair, I think that day was polka dot jammie pants).

Back
Top Bottom