do your chickens wander into your house

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
im getting chickens soon want to know if you leave the door open do your chickens wander inside your house?
lol.png

Last edited:
They would if they could...lol. If they're hanging out on the front porch and I open the door to let the dogs in, they start heading toward the opening, and I have to give them a firm "Oh no you don't..."

Do they wander into our house? Only if I don't close the door fast enough!

When I have the front door open, with only the storm/screen door closed, they like to come over and peek in. Then they start tapping on the door. I often will then come over and toss a little snack to them. Sometimes they watch TV through the bay window. They can see it from the front stoop. I'm sure they'd rather be in the living room, but I have to draw the line somewhere... It was bad enough the day one of the sheep opened the patio door and came inside!
lol.png

Actually, we have thought about making them a perch in front of the bay window, so they can hang out there and watch us a little better, but we're afraid they'd never go back in the coop at night!

If you leave it open, they will come...

Mine have learnt where the corn is kept and if i leave the patio door open they will come in and head straight for it!!

We have no problem with them trying to come inside the house. If the door opens, the pygmy goats are fighting to get in. The chickens know better than to compete with the goats. However, early in the morning when the goats are still penned up, the chickens come and sit on the back porch waiting for us to throw a treat out the window of the door. We call it the take-out window.
big_smile.png

We keep the brooder box out on a table in the front porch. The chicks in it attract the hens to the porch with their peeping. There is a dog door leading to the outside, and they come into the porch all the time. On top of all that, they know where we keep the chick starter. They get in the porch and start eating the starter, as wel as knocking over the ash tray looking for goodies... they make such a mess. On several occasions, the door to the house has been open, and they always seemed more content with coming inside.

For whatever reason. My EE hens are the home invaders. My Wellsummers and misc chickens don't wander in but....... those EE hens will be in my kitchen in a minute.

Back
Top Bottom