Do your hens go off their usual feed when they moult?

Do your hens go off their usual feed when they are moulting?

• Total voters
I've spent more time lately observing the molt with this thread in mind. Sticking with a shaky "no" vote. There was slightly reduced commercial feed intake for 2-5 days in the middle of the molt but nobody has gone significantly off of it.

Notes: our birds are in their 1st through 3rd molts, with no hard molts. Feed is 18-20% protein with 0.4-0.45% methionine year round. They have a low-stress lifestyle, with limited changes to their environment, daily routine, or population, and with a lot of protected space to roam and low predator pressure. No notable bullying or health issues.

That brief period when they aren't as interested in the feeder is about a week after they stop laying and approximately a day before they drop all their tailfeathers overnight. They start eating regularly again even as their down and wingfeathers drop over the following week.

Their crops would be squishy instead of hard for those 2-5 nights, and they have wet poops for about a week. However, during that 2-5 nights, they've stayed just as interested in foraging seeds from weeds and grasses as long as they aren't busy napping or preening.

They also love the yellowed locust leaves falling right now. Not fallen green or crispy brown locust leaves but specifically leaves in that pliable, yellow state. Pretty interesting. But that's for all birds, not just the molting ones.

Oh, and the above is for hens. Roosters are molting in a much slower fashion (e.g., their tail takes about a week to drop off, while hens drop theirs in 1 night), and I didn't catch roosters enjoying feed any less, but they're masters of keeping up appearances.

Lost all but 2 tailfeathers overnight!

IMG_9428.jpg

IMG_9430.jpg

Lost his last 2 tailfeathers after about a week of dropping them.
IMG_8842.jpg

IMG_8843.jpg

For a great many chicken health topics we get our information from research done by or with the chicken egg and meat producing companies.

Most of the hens I know of that go through a particularly heavy moult do so in their second year and most battery hens are killed at this age because egg production declines from two years old onward so this may be the reason why so little research and information in general is available on this topic.

There are in the BYC threads quite a few posts from keepers who are very worried about the health of their moulting hens because they are losing weight and often producing watery poop, looking listless and isolated but most concerning is they reduce, or stop eating the commercial feed entirely.

I hope some of those who have posted on the threads about their experiences with moulting hens will contribute here.

What I have found is there is a lot of variation in how sever this first major moult is from hen to hen. I've had hens who "go off" for a couple of days and others who look decidely sick for a couple of weeks. Being concerned about their health I've checked a lot of moulting hens crops at roost time and found that the free range hens had at least partially full crops while more recent experience with what were essentially confined Ex Batts, their crop may be almost empty at roost time. Once the Ex Batts were allowed to forage away from their run their crop content at roost time was noticeably more, but it wasn't from eating the commercial feed.

I've observed perhaps 20 free range hens during their moult and tried with little success to establish what exactly it is they fill their crops with during the day. Also, the free range hens tended to forage in the same areas no matter where their "home territory2 was. One might conclude that these areas contained particular nutrients the moulting hen believes she needs.

Fudge. Her first sever moult. She spent most of the day away from her tribe foraging and her crop would be full at roost time.
View attachment 2870977

Lima. An Ex Batt not only moulting but also trying to replace feathers damaged before she arrived at the rescue centre. She has improved dramatically since she been allowed out to forage and received additional food supplements from me.
View attachment 2870986
My solution to non-eaters during a molt is to first check to make sure the crop isn't impacted due to eating feathers from craving extra protein - yes, some will do that. If all is clear, I separate them from the flock and offer their own bowl of feed mixed with tuna, tuna juice or wet cat food that they can eat at their leisure. This almost always kick-starts their appetite.

In all of my years of raising chickens, I haven't yet come across one that wouldn't peck my arm off (lol) for a beak-full or two of cat food or tuna.

Wow, this thread's over a year old! About half my flock is molting now and, just like last year, no changes in feed consumption. Management changes since last year? I went to hanging feeders. I accidentally acquired a large number of out of date, mixed canned goods, so they also get a random, opened can of surprise food in the coop every evening. Tonight was green beans. It's amazing how well they clean out the can - even the can of refried beans looked scrubbed and polished the next morning. I just don't see any changes in appetite at all when mine molt.

My solution to non-eaters during a molt is to first check to make sure the crop isn't impacted due to eating feathers from craving extra protein - yes, some will do that. If all is clear, I separate them from the flock and offer their own bowl of feed mixed with tuna, tuna juice or wet cat food that they can eat at their leisure. This almost always kick-starts their appetite.

In all of my years of raising chickens, I haven't yet come across one that wouldn't peck my arm off (lol) for a beak-full or two of cat food or tuna.
That's funny because ours want nothing to do with any kind of canned fish. That's a surprise based on how many BYC members share their birds' love of tuna and catfood.

I keep a little mealworm farm in the closet and hand those out liberally 2-3 times a month during molt for an animal-protein-packed treat. Since digestibility is apparently a concern with mealworms, if a bird looks low and I suspect they'd benefit from protein, we go with scrambled egg.

I've only had one bird molt and actually look sick, and that's more because he was incredibly old (years 8,9 and 10).

Everyone else either looks like they just lost their tail bones, if that, or look like they escaped a plucker. But none act sick and they don't eat much less when it comes to food.

Edited to add, it could also be that mine get eggs at least once a week, so they're definitely getting enough protein between that and their feed (at most 24% and at least 18% on average for their crumble depending on sex and laying status).

That's funny because ours want nothing to do with any kind of canned fish. That's a surprise based on how many BYC members share their birds' love of tuna and catfood.

I keep a little mealworm farm in the closet and hand those out liberally 2-3 times a month during molt for an animal-protein-packed treat. Since digestibility is apparently a concern with mealworms, if a bird looks low and I suspect they'd benefit from protein, we go with scrambled egg.
Eggs are a great choice. The key is to offer an irresistible favorite.

I have 18 chickens of varying ages (and varyibg breeds) from 8 months to 4 years. The 8 month old pullets wont molt this year. But some of the older birds are currently going through really terrible molts: Barred Rock, Orpingtons, Spitzhauben, Naked Neck. My Brahma, Sebright, Silkies, Leghorn, and Cochin all had pretty quick and painless molts. In my experience, some breeds or individual birds just have easier molts.

I find they still eat their feed - just a lot less of it. I have seen tough molts before, but what worries me is that the overall effect on their general health can open the door for illness. It's happened to a few birds over the years. I have taken to supplementing those individuals I know from past experience have the potential to decline during molt. I feed eggs, tuna, or other forms of protein as soon as I see feathers fall. I dose individual birds with vitamins in an effort to stave off illness. Idk if it's made a difference, but I figure it can't hurt.

An observation I had is that my Orpingtons have the absolute worst molts of all my flock.

My Cochin is particularly weird. She has "quieter" molts 2x a year. Maybe it just takes too long to replace alllll those bazillion feathers...

Back
Top Bottom