Docking Tails (dogs- want your oppinon).

What about hunting with a long tail gets it all ripped up? I've never had a hunting breed or gone hunting with a dog, so I'm having a hard time figuring this one out.

I believe in docking tails. I have a miniature pinscher, and her tail is docked. Docking should only be done by a licensed vet, and only when the puppies are 1-2 days old.'

Breeds like Miniature pinscher, dobermans, and rottweilers, docking their tail is part of their breed history. It has been done for hundreds of years. It is part of their breed profile, so why change it. I remember something a couple years ago when they wanted to make cropping and docking illegal. I dont, however, agree with cropping the ears. That is sick. The dogs need to wear caps on their heads and have their ears taped up so they stand up. That is cruel.

Man, I love the look of that 1896 cocker. It really looks like a working dog, with that big barrel, and longer muzzle. It looks like it would have been a fun sort of doggie too.

On the docking issue, it seems that for pets and working dogs it would be completely unneccesary. If you want to show you have to play the game. I do not like the ear trimming. It is nasty, bloody and often done wrong.

Late but oh well.

To each their own. For pet dogs I don't see a problem in not. For protection breeds that will do the work, Dobes, Rotts then absolutely dock. Tails make dogs easier to hold.

They docked field spaniel breeds because all that hair and severe brambles did not mix.

As to dewclaws, I've seen a firmly attached dewclaw rip off a dog a few times. Uck. When I get a pup, shape, angle and size are taken into account. If it looks likely to snag during work it comes off. Better some pain young than a fence or log or other situation tearing it off later.

Athena does not have front dewclaws now because hers were at huge risk of snagging and the vet agreed.

Purpose and use of the animal have to be considered.

Umm, age at surgery does matter. In case you didn't notice puppies are born eyes closed and far far less neurologically developed than a new born human. They take weeks to even begin to develop the same neural function as a human child. So NO, it's not the same.

Please let's not confuse the species I revere as being human. They're not, they're better than that. They ARE physiologically, mentally and emotionally different and I like that about them.

I have two retired show Cockers, their tails are docked, but they do not dock tails in many countries overseas.
Years ago, I had two orphaned Cockers I raised, & I did not have their tails docked. They had beautiful, fringed, long, happy tails.
My personal opinion and stance is that I feel like God knew what length to make their tails.

IMO, it depends on what they are going to be used for. As pets, I probably would not. But a working dog that has a tail that would get in the way of the job, I probably would.

I've got a Bouvier des Flanders that I absolutely adore. He's the best! His tail was docked when he was 2 days old, and I sure with they hadn't have done it. It's hard to see him was his stubbin, as we call it, through his thick/long hair.

IMO, doing it because it's always been done, hundreds of years, breed profile, yadda yadda....isn't a good enough reason to keep doing it. JMO

Quote:
ITA 100%. Over those hundreds of years, you'd think someone would have realized it was wrong and pointless. Just because your friend jumped off a bridge, doesn't mean you should... remember that?

I'm against docking, cropping and dewclaw removal. If my dogs were born with it, it stays. If they get injured because they have them, then they'll see their own 'doctor' and recover. Just like any of the humans in their family.

Quote:
He looks ALL JRT to me just w/o the docked tail. Our JRT's tail was docked my the breeder and they docked it to short...A JRT's tail is supposed to be as tall as a man's hand is wide. My little guy's tail was cut to the length of a cocker spaniel's nub.....I think we should just leave well enough alone....Don't fix what ain't broke kinda thing

DSC00983.jpg

Last edited:
We would only buy a springer if it had it's tail docked and came from papered and hunting parents. (From the age of 0-25 my parent kept springers) But it was because of hunting reasons. We pheasant and duck hunted a lot. Not saying good or bad...but that is what we did.
wink.png
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom