Doctor phobia....

I have a similar fear. I've managed to get over it, but my heart still races when I have to have blood drawn. It's funny because I am a diabetic and give myself four to five shots a day! I would be able to draw my own blood fine, but it's the fact that I just don't trust other people with needles!

Ask them to use the butterfly needle. i barely even feel it going in. I have a feeling my fear stemmed from when I was little and they could never find a vein on me. One time they stuck me about 5 times before my mom said no more. Now I ask for the butterfly needle and I just remember to breathe. I have to watch the needle go in though. I don't trust them to do it without me watching!

Quote:
...and yet I love Horror movies....isnt that ironic?
other blood doesnt bother me...just human blood. How I managed to make it through seeing the birth of my daughter is beyond me.

LOL -= under that kind of stress a person can do ANYTHING.

My hubby had to do it ALL - our last baby was born at home - LOL so he had to catch her, and cut the cord and all that... LOL poor guy.

You need to slowly try get through it, a drug will help you in a pinch - but the best thing is to get over whatever the hold is on your side, and you CAN do it. Heck I got my hubby to hold a snake! He don't like snakes, I don't like spiders, but I have STOPPED freaking out about them, I don't kill them or stop my life - I know they're not out to get me etc...etc...

It takes time, and you CAN over come it.
(I HATE horror movies -
gig.gif
they FREAK ME OUT)

I say time for the doctor... and think of it this way, go now and get a few pricks... or wait too long, get hospitalized, and have needles stuck into you for way longer until they can fix you. Take a little now to avoid a ton of it later! I know, I'm morbid that way. I really really hate needles too... but found out my cholesterol is good to go!

I am right there with you quad. I HATE needles. When I had to go get my SECOND GRADE shots, it took 2 docters, a nurse, and my mother to hold me down and still enough to give them to me. I am not that much better now, LOL. I obviously dont still fight the doc, but I certainly am not past the crying, woozy, stages yet.

Quote:
Wow, ok now that scary... I'm 99% sure my gallbladder is shot, I get the sharp pain , upper right area along my ribcage....any spicy or acidic food just kills me....it was tolerable up until the past week or two..I've been putting it off but what you just said is no joke...ok , ok I'll go

Just make sure you tell them you want your gallbladder checked. I had problems a few years ago. I went to the ER after suffering and in dire distress all night after having fried fish the night before. All they gave me in the ER was a drink of a GI Cocktail and took away the pain. Never did an ultrasound, x-ray, nothing. Just monitored my heart and B/P. My pain was in the center of my chest, like really bad heartburn and also was in my back. Came in waves of pain, not constant. I actually wished to die at that point.I had had tums, mylanta and a prilosec and nothing had helped. The ER gave me a prescription for Prevacid and it didnt do squat. I suffered for well over a month with pain and nausea and couldnt eat anothing besides apples, toast and rice. I lost 10lbs. I finally went to my regular doctor and said, I am not better cant you do something? And the nurse said lets get you in to get an ultrasound on your gall bladder. Thats what it was, and they removed it the following week. They also removed a large cyst a month after that but thats unrelated.

I suffer from fear too, I am terrified of airplanes, and I had to take anti-anxiety meds to get me through the flights to Hawaii last year.
Wildsky, I am terrified of spiders too, and hubby is afraid of snakes!
We had our blood drawn for life insurance a few years ago and hubby darn near fainted when she was doing his, which is funny as he is always cutting himself by accident and gushing blood. Its a miracle the man is still alive today!!

First off, ask the blood taker if she could use a higher guage needle (skinnier). Don't take no for an answer. This alone will make you feel more in control of what is going on, and the thinner needle will hurt less, if at all.
I would also ask for some valium. Don't take no for an answer. You have to be your own best advocate. You can always get up and leave, it's your right!

Back
Top Bottom