Documenting Day-to-Day Duckie Development

Speaking of grit.... Do I just offer it "on the side" like I do my chickens? I'm getting treats for them today. They are bigger girls, for sure.
I have never offered my duck[lings] any grit! - Just take a spade, open the ground a bit and pour some water into the hole…
They make their own grit. And ruin your yard in the process… 🌋

I just put the chick grit
Speaking of grit.... Do I just offer it "on the side" like I do my chickens? I'm getting treats for them today. They are bigger girls, for sure.
I just put the grit in a small dish on the side, while I had them living inside. Once they go outside full time, I stopped giving them gritt. However mine are free range. If it is nice enough outside, you can let them have a bit of fun outdoors.

I have been so so so busy with work, I haven't had time to take and post pictures. I haven't even had time to sleep. I will try tonight to get some updated pics.

I'm beginning to think Peanut is a drake. I know Daxony are slow growers, but I'm not hearing quacks from Peanut. I guess I'll know for sure in the next couple of weeks. Not a big deal if Peanut is a drake, but it will make housing a little trickier because of my hens.

Some ducks take longer to have their voice change. I was worried a couple of my welsh were drakes, because they were pretty quiet. Eventually they started to quake and became some of the noisest ducks in my flock.

They could have gotten it wrong, but I would give it time. If they did get it wrong, I believe they will refund you the difference.

I hope you enjoy some duck therapy. It sound like you could use some.

I have been so so so busy with work, I haven't had time to take and post pictures. I haven't even had time to sleep. I will try tonight to get some updated pics.

I'm beginning to think Peanut is a drake. I know Daxony are slow growers, but I'm not hearing quacks from Peanut. I guess I'll know for sure in the next couple of weeks. Not a big deal if Peanut is a drake, but it will make housing a little trickier because of my hens.
The Metzer employees are pretty good in sexing ducklings - usually - but @Mimi13 also got her Ralphie Dux from there. He also was supposed a "she".
If you pick up Peanut and walk away from the others, is she/he peeping franticly or just fidgeting silently? -> Peeping = most likely a girl. Silent = most likely a boy.
Drakes usually fall silent before they develop their mature voice.

The Metzer employees are pretty good in sexing ducklings - usually - but @Mimi13 also got her Ralphie Dux from there. He also was supposed a "she".
If you pick up Peanut and walk away from the others, is she/he peeping franticly or just fidgeting silently? -> Peeping = most likely a girl. Silent = most likely a boy.
Drakes usually fall silent before they develop their mature voice.
My last male duckling would peep all the time. We would go to bed and he would not stop peeping for us or demanding to play. So cute and so annoying at the same time. And the female was pretty quiet. I think it was because the male would not stop talking. He is still somewhat talkative, but you can hardly hear him now.

My ducks took much longer to start quacking! Now I feel like I should have written everything down because I can't recall exactly how long! But they were fully feathered and living outside for weeks before I heard any quacks.

Back
Top Bottom