Does a watched chicken boil?

epona4

Songster
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
Central Indiana
Er...lay.
wink.png

DD is determined to be out side when Ginger lays her next egg. I told her she should feel lucky that she was out there when she laid her FIRST egg!

Quote:
It is interesting and things are rarely dull!! And this spring will be even more interesting when we add more chickens and a couple ducks and maybe a goose and some turkeys...

i tried to watch my BO lay her second egg yesterday. she just settled into the nest and sat and stared back at me. she wasnt mad or anything, i could just tell she was bound and determined to not lay her egg until she was alone. so i left, and half an hour later she came out. nice warm egg in the nest. she just was patiently waiting for me to leave.

I've witnessed several eggs being laid over the years and it never ceases to amaze me when I see that wet, shining orb slowly slide out of the hen. You have to be in the right place at the right time, though. That's the secret!
gig.gif

I have yet to see an egg come out. If I look through the windows I can normally see them and they just stare right back at me.. Kinda like I would do if I was on the can and you caught me with the door open.

Now if I open the coop and poke my head inside normally ill get a little his or wierd noise that I dont normally hear them make. It got the point across, kinda like a "HEY IM BUSY JERK" and i know its impossible but I swear they squint their eyes like theyre angry.

I've caught a few of mine laying. They'll sit for awhile, then start to raise up slowly, slowly, until they're nearly standing up and PLOP out it comes.

It's kinda funny some will spend a great deal of time getting situated, poking around, settling in, getting the nestbox just the way they like it. Others (one of ours in particular) will hop in the box, squirt it out and hop right back out! You have to get lucky!

I found one beneath the roost one morning and thought . . . "Did she do that in her sleep?" LOL

Back
Top Bottom