Does a watched chicken boil?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epona4, Dec 8, 2008.

1. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Er...lay. [​IMG]

DD is determined to be out side when Ginger lays her next egg. I told her she should feel lucky that she was out there when she laid her FIRST egg!

2. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

LOL!! Tell her good luck [​IMG]
    Just think - it keeps things interesting. [​IMG]

I have always said that there is never a dull moment on the farm. [​IMG]

3. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Quote:It is interesting and things are rarely dull!! And this spring will be even more interesting when we add more chickens and a couple ducks and maybe a goose and some turkeys...

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My BSL gets mad if I try to watch. She won't let me.

5. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    i tried to watch my BO lay her second egg yesterday. she just settled into the nest and sat and stared back at me. she wasnt mad or anything, i could just tell she was bound and determined to not lay her egg until she was alone. so i left, and half an hour later she came out. nice warm egg in the nest. she just was patiently waiting for me to leave.

6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I've witnessed several eggs being laid over the years and it never ceases to amaze me when I see that wet, shining orb slowly slide out of the hen. You have to be in the right place at the right time, though. That's the secret! [​IMG]

7. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    i've caught eggs from under hens. eeww D:

8. Bugdude

Bugdude Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    I have yet to see an egg come out. If I look through the windows I can normally see them and they just stare right back at me.. Kinda like I would do if I was on the can and you caught me with the door open.

Now if I open the coop and poke my head inside normally ill get a little his or wierd noise that I dont normally hear them make. It got the point across, kinda like a "HEY IM BUSY JERK" and i know its impossible but I swear they squint their eyes like theyre angry.

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Oh... new project for DBF: install a one-way mirror in their nesting box!!

10. Mortimer

Mortimer Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    SW of Wichita, KS
    I've caught a few of mine laying. They'll sit for awhile, then start to raise up slowly, slowly, until they're nearly standing up and PLOP out it comes.

It's kinda funny some will spend a great deal of time getting situated, poking around, settling in, getting the nestbox just the way they like it. Others (one of ours in particular) will hop in the box, squirt it out and hop right back out! You have to get lucky!

I found one beneath the roost one morning and thought . . . "Did she do that in her sleep?" LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by