Does anyone breed Heritage RIR's?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CHICKEN little 1, Jan 6, 2009.

1. CHICKEN little 1

CHICKEN little 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    W.V.
    [​IMG] I love the old RIR's.Does anyone breed them on here?

I've had the Production Reds. Their just not the same. Just wanted to hear everyones thoughts,and pics. Seems people are forgetting this great breed.[​IMG]

2. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Check out geareduplyn. I believe he mentioned that he would have chicks available this spring. He has THE most gorgeous heritage RIRs that I have seen in a very long time.

Rusty

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Gary has them, that's true. Bama Chicken used to... the girl in this photo is one I hatched from her:

[​IMG]

4. CHICKEN little 1

Aug 20, 2008
    W.V.
    [​IMG] speckledhen Thats what I'am talkin about that dark red,and stocky build! [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

Not just stocky, but tall, too! These are Amazon-Hens!

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] Yep I love Bama Chicken's RIRs and sooner or later, Gary will be the next one I would look into!

7. speckledhen

Julie doesnt have them anymore, sadly. She is concentrating on other projects. I love these girls. They mind their own business, are quiet, calm and good layers.

8. CHICKEN little 1

Aug 20, 2008
    W.V.
    Where are the Heritage RIR owners?

ARE THEY BECOMING EXTINCT? I hope not. [​IMG]

I have to agree with you speckled hen on your description of the RIR's. My past experience with them have been the same as yours. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  9. dave27889

dave27889 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Washington, NC
    I'm looking for the same thing and I am finding true RIR's hard to find. I am looking at my pet chicken to see if their's are true RIR's. I would appreciate any help also and I will let you know if I find some. Dave in Washington, NC

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Hatchery bred RIR looks nothing like the heritage RIRs and the confirmation or standards of the RIRs are all wrong. They looked like a leghorn body with red feathers LOL! If you want the real thing, stick with true breeders of heritage RIRs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by