Does anyone know how to make an incubator easy enough for kids to make

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by birdsofthefarm, Aug 5, 2009.

1. elijahboy

elijahboy Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    goose creek sc
    Quote:You do have to turn eggs. And I turn mine, but I turn by hand. You could buy or make an automatc turner I just don't have the time or money for that. It's quicker for me to reach in real quick and give them all a quick turn.

do you just open the lid and turn the eggs till they are laying on the opposite side

how often do you do that

do you have to have the pointy side up or down

2. elijahboy

elijahboy Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    goose creek sc
    i thought it was like a science and they had to be at a certain angle

3. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    basically 45 degrees to 45 degrees, or so the book said....

4. vkp23

vkp23 Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    Quote:You do have to turn eggs. And I turn mine, but I turn by hand. You could buy or make an automatc turner I just don't have the time or money for that. It's quicker for me to reach in real quick and give them all a quick turn.

do you just open the lid and turn the eggs till they are laying on the opposite side

how often do you do that

do you have to have the pointy side up or down

Mine are on their sides. I marked both ends of the eggs with pencil. one side an X the other side a letter for what kind of bird. Like D for duck and T for turken. If they were on the X side I turned them to the D side and vice versa. I turn about three times a day. When I first get up and when I go to bed and once inbetween. That way they "Sleep" on a dif side each night. If you are going to put them in a carton then you place them pointy side down (or air cell up) and tilt the carton 45 degrees one side then the next side when time to turn. If you see in the pic I posted I have my two turken eggs in a carton (because they had a boo-boo with the flashlight falling on them and I had repaired them with candle wax and wanted to reduce any damage done to them from too much handling) My ducks are just laying on their sides in the middle of the cotton ball nest. They are due to hatch this week end. I lost my turkens one was due to a defect he had and the other was because of a broken air cell. Nothing having to do with the bator.

ETA: I knew the one with the borken air cell probably wouldn't hatch. they were shipped eggs and aparently that is a common problem with shipped eggs. But I wanted to give hima chance anyway. But The ari cell was broken from shiping not from the flash light accedent or from hand turning. the air cell was broken when I got it. Forgot to also add that whe nI turn I didn't take the whole lid off, I just removed the light from over the eggs stuck my hand in the hole turned them and put the light back. Less heat is lost that way.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  5. elijahboy

elijahboy Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    goose creek sc
    if you use a rubbermaid container like the one posted in this forum can you just tilt the entire rubbermaid container so you wont have to open it

6. vkp23

vkp23 Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    Quote:I guess if you could find a good way to stablize the eggs and lights, But I wouldn't suggest it.

7. vkp23

vkp23 Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    Here is "Frankenbator", my upgrade from "the poor mans bator" or rubbermaid bator.
    And yes that is red duct tape!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  8. birdsofthefarm

birdsofthefarm Songster

Jul 28, 2009
    Grayson County, TX
    Quote:She is having such a hard time deciding

9. vkp23

vkp23 Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    The mini fridge does hole temps and humidity better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: