Does anyone out there make jam?

Jealous Gypsy

Songster
Jul 13, 2019
Northern Maine
Hi all,

I found wild cherry trees and harvested some. I wanted to try to make jam. I have never attempted it before, but followed a recipe. I halfed the recipe only because i spent 2 hours pitting wild cherries and only got 1/2 what i needed.I never used pectin before and the recipe called for 2 packages I used 1.

I was worried it would be runny, but the opposite occurred. It is very thick at the top, the fruit seems to have mainly floated up. The bottom however seems to be the correct consistency.

It is however the most delicious jam ive ever had aside from the consistency issue.

Any advice for my next batch so this doesn't occur? I would like to send it out as gifts.
20190913_101022.jpg

Interesting question. Good for you for trying it. I've never made jam with wild cherries but have tried several other things. When I made persimmon jam (did not like it) I used a wire sieve to separate the pulp from the pits, rubbed it with my fingers. Some persimmon skin got through but it was in pretty small pieces. That may help you get enough pulp without spending so much time pitting the cherries and avoid the big chunks of skin.

When I make sweet pepper jam I don't peel the peppers but I run them through the blender so the skin is in tiny flakes. I can't remember if they float to the top or settle to the bottom, but if you turn the jar upside down those flecks can get caught in the middle as it sets. I think it makes it look more attractive. There are two potential issues with this. You want the air gap to be at the top when it sets so you need to turn it back over before too long. It can be hard to get the timing right. Also, moving it like this may cause setting problems, it may stay liquid. If that happens label it as syrup instead of jam. It will be great on pancakes or waffles.

Try real hard to have a full recipe and fill the jars within 1/4" from the top. Measure that 1/4", it's not much.

Good luck with it.

Interesting question. Good for you for trying it. I've never made jam with wild cherries but have tried several other things. When I made persimmon jam (did not like it) I used a wire sieve to separate the pulp from the pits, rubbed it with my fingers. Some persimmon skin got through but it was in pretty small pieces. That may help you get enough pulp without spending so much time pitting the cherries and avoid the big chunks of skin.

When I make sweet pepper jam I don't peel the peppers but I run them through the blender so the skin is in tiny flakes. I can't remember if they float to the top or settle to the bottom, but if you turn the jar upside down those flecks can get caught in the middle as it sets. I think it makes it look more attractive. There are two potential issues with this. You want the air gap to be at the top when it sets so you need to turn it back over before too long. It can be hard to get the timing right. Also, moving it like this may cause setting problems, it may stay liquid. If that happens label it as syrup instead of jam. It will be great on pancakes or waffles.

Try real hard to have a full recipe and fill the jars within 1/4" from the top. Measure that 1/4", it's not much.

Good luck with it.
Thank you im going to try a full recipe after my next harvest and see how that turns out.

I made cherry jam, using domestic sweet cherries, once. Pitting them took a very long time, and my hands were purple for days! I used pectin, the jam set, but it wasn't interesting enough to justify the time spent. Sour cherries would certainly be better!!!
How about making jelly instead? At least they wouldn't have to be pitted, just halved.
Any jam or jelly made at home is better!
Mary

I make freezer jam, no pectin packets, with nothing but fruit and sugar. To thicken I use grated green apples and lemon juice. My go to flavors are cherry-apricot or strawberry.

The end result is a little more tart and less "set" than a traditional jam but it just tastes so much more fresh and fruity to me than regular jam.

I suspect the problem is related to halving the recipe. It has something to do with how the sugar and pectin work together with the fruit. For cherries you might try cooking them down with the pits in first until they are nice and soft, and then straining the pits out through a colander or with a slotted spoon. ... well, dagnabbit, now I am going to have to try a batch myself and see how it turns out! I still have a bunch of blackberries in the freezer too, waiting to be made into jelly. I strain the seeds out because of my dentures but boy is it yummy. I made elderberry one year too, but that's very labor-intensive! My boy (grandson) won't hardly eat commercial jams and jellies in his PB&J's any more.... :hmm

Back
Top Bottom