Does anyone Vaccinate their poults?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by roddycn1216, Jul 13, 2016.

1. roddycn1216

roddycn1216 Just Hatched

May 29, 2016
    A little background here LOL! The boyfriend and I went to TSC... someone dropped off 2 chickens... long story short one had to be culled immediately the other, after 4 days of intensive treatment (tube feeding and subcu fluids) she started showing classic signs of Mareks Dz.

Now all my chickens have been vaccinated against Marek's (Thank God!). However, I recently got 2 turkey poults and I'm pretty sure they weren't vaccinated. So my question is what do I need to vaccinate them against and on what schedule? They are approximately a month old and I still have them in a brooder so they've had no exposure to anything as of yet.

I found this link online and was wondering if this was a good template to follow when vaccinating? http://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/binaries/Turkey_Vaccination_Program_tcm96-43069.pdf

Thank you so much for any information in advance! Just wanting to keep everyone healthy LOL!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    We don't vaccinate for anything. Mareks isn't a concern for turkeys. They can carry a more mild strain of Mareks that can actually give your chickens immunity. If I were to vaccinate it would probably be for fowl pox as a few of my turkeys get it here and there, they do get over it in about 6 weeks. I see it occasionally in my turkey but haven't had it in my chickens which share the same range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by