Does anyone Vaccinate their poults?

roddycn1216

In the Brooder
May 29, 2016
A little background here LOL! The boyfriend and I went to TSC... someone dropped off 2 chickens... long story short one had to be culled immediately the other, after 4 days of intensive treatment (tube feeding and subcu fluids) she started showing classic signs of Mareks Dz.

Now all my chickens have been vaccinated against Marek's (Thank God!). However, I recently got 2 turkey poults and I'm pretty sure they weren't vaccinated. So my question is what do I need to vaccinate them against and on what schedule? They are approximately a month old and I still have them in a brooder so they've had no exposure to anything as of yet.

I found this link online and was wondering if this was a good template to follow when vaccinating? http://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/binaries/Turkey_Vaccination_Program_tcm96-43069.pdf

Thank you so much for any information in advance! Just wanting to keep everyone healthy LOL!

We don't vaccinate for anything. Mareks isn't a concern for turkeys. They can carry a more mild strain of Mareks that can actually give your chickens immunity. If I were to vaccinate it would probably be for fowl pox as a few of my turkeys get it here and there, they do get over it in about 6 weeks. I see it occasionally in my turkey but haven't had it in my chickens which share the same range.

Back
Top Bottom