Does everyone candle??

I think you should candle to look at the air cell only, dont worry about the rest of the egg. Your nose is the best tool for culling bad eggs. Over time while checking air cells you will learn what eggs wont hatch by what you see in the rest of the egg an may choose to throw those out to make more room. At the same time you will learn what humidity is good an need to candle to look at the air cell less so you may stop candling all together an just use your nose. Both ways work.

I candle all eggs before I put them in the bator to check for fractors, that way if I find one that is bad I can replace before starting. Then I spot check about half of my eggs at the mid point and if all looks well I leave well enough alone until its time for the chick to break free and see the world for the first time.

big_smile.png

Wow all good information. I will check them at 9 days. Now all I have to do is get a strong enough flash light.

Thanks guys.

Yes your nose might be a good way to tell but that doesn't Always work. At 4am I went to check on the eggs in the bator & to my surprise there was a leaky egg. It was just starting to leak but didnt get on my bator. The strange thing was that there wasn't any smell.

Back
Top Bottom