Does everyone cover their floor with Vinyl?

chuckzoo

Songster
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
I have been reading so many posts about people covering their floors with vinyl - I know not everyone does but a large proportion appear to. I thought vinyl would be slippery.
What are the advantages/disadvantages?

I don't have vinyl in my coop, but I'm assuming that it makes things easy for clean-up. I don't know how slippery it would be with pine shavings or whatever you decide to use on top.

My floor is vinyl but covered with shavings or straw. I dont think anyone has just a plain vinyl floor without any bedding.. that would definitely create some problems for the chickens.

The vinyl makes it real easy to clean and also protects the wood from water and ammonia which will break down the wood over time. I just stapled vinyl to my wood floor, its been there a year now and still looks brand new when I push the bedding off. Also doesnt hold the odor in. I wouldnt do a floor any other way now since trying the vinyl, had painted wood previously.

Nancy

I have two 4x8 coops (see My Page); both of them have the $14 white, slick bathroom 4x8 panels on th walls and floor. These make for quick cleanup. On one of the floors I have a tarp over the white floor panel; using that, I don't even have to sweep when I occasionally change the deep-litter/diatomaceous-earth bedding. I just pull out the tarp onto a cart and haul it to the garden, all in one ten-minute step.

Last edited:
We have vinyl flooring in our coop with the wood shavings on top (deep litter method). The advantages is that it is MUCH easier to clean and protects the wood flooring underneath from wood rot. Disadvantages is that it rips so you have to be careful when you shovel the shavings out. Oh and the price of buying vinyl, since the alternative is free (no vinyl). We personally would recommend the vinyl!
smile.png

We converted a 20 year old shed into a chicken coop and to protect the wood flooring we put down vinyl flooring. Shavings for chicks on top. Works great! Deep litter method on a wood floor would cause rot. We love it for the easy clean up and 'clean' look.

I have wood shavings on the floor - switched from straw as with all the rain we have been getting here in Alabama lately straw stayed too wet (although I liked that it composts very quickly).
I guess my shavings are not deep enough (about 3 ")as my two girls scratch down to the plywood and then eat some of the small shavings - they have plenty of food and treats. I coated my wood with wood stain, but have noticed that one section is warping. I like the idea of stapling the vinyl down or using the bathroom panel.
Thanks

I dont have money for vinyl at this time..I used to have dogs in this shed before it was converted to a coop and I had polyurethane down. It seals the wood pretty good. The dogs peed in there on occasion and it seemed to hold up well so I resealed the floor and use a deep litter. So far so good..we will see after a few months how its holding up. If I have to go vinyl then I will but would prefer not to.

Back
Top Bottom