Does greenish tinged coelom fluid mean infection?

Definitely improving! I'd say even dramatic improvement.

Eating, pooping, moving around with her posse, that's all going to improve her crop function.

A flush can be done any time. But if she has any yeast in her crop, the Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) would be more beneficial than the molasses flush. It's one teaspoon Epsom salts in one-fourth cup water. It needs to all go into her at once. Unlike molasses risking aiding yeast, Epsom salts neutralizes it.

Poor Lucky. I called her Cashew in another post on this thread. (Cashew was my Buff Orpington I had to have euthanized somewhat recently).

I’ll be letting them out soon. If Lucky’s crop is still full, I will not be able to fit a full 1/4 cup in her crop. How does that work with a flush? @azygous

Last edited:
Your video cracked me up. The lengths we chicken moms go to for our chickens. And don't think our chickens don't just eat up the loving attention. No doubt in my mind that the loving attention is an important factor in the treatment.

The flush is good because it does wash through the whole digestive tract, and the gizzard is an important beneficiary of this.

The long flush is much, much more solution, so if you see some positive results but wish to see more, then do the long flush.

One teaspoon Epsom salts in half a cup warm water tubed twice a day for three days. Every chicken I've done it for has tolerated it very well and the results are very good. It's just more time consuming than the short flush. But you know when you're done after the three days that your patient is well and truly flushed out.

Be sure to offer plenty of plain water in between since this can be very dehydrating as it pulls fluids out of the intestines as it works.

This is helpful, thank you. Also, good reminder about the dehydration. As you know, she has an ascites situation that can already lead to dehydration. I’m going to bring a big feed bowl of water next to her right now. She seems to prefer to drink out of those instead of the regular plastic waterers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom