Does greenish tinged coelom fluid mean infection?

Pics
@Eggcessive Kim, I’m tagging you specifically because I believe you are or were a nurse, correct? I understand that veterinary medicine and human medicine are not necessarily the same but I’m hoping you’ll know the answer to this. We have other very experienced people on here and I’d appreciate if they would weigh in, as well.

My chicken Lucky seemed to get her laying hormones back recently, but did not produce an egg and now she’s swollen up quite significantly. I can definitely tell she has discomfort. I was able to draw some fluid off of her today and was surprised to see that it has a green tinge to it. Does that mean infection? I understand that ascites is just a symptom and she has an underlying condition causing it, but I’m wondering if the color of the fluid gives us a hint at all. Thank you!

I was only able to do one syringe full, as I could not manage holding onto her and then coupling the syringe from the tube by myself. However, she did continue to drip significantly on a towel on my lap, and then afterward, when I released her. I hope it provide some relief for her today.

View attachment 3332140

Edited later to correct voice to text errors.
Once a couple of days before butchering day, one of the chickens could not stand and had something wrong with its right leg. Out of curiousity, I did an "autopsy." I slit the skin on the abdomen close to the right leg without cutting deep. Inside that 'pocket' under the skin but still all outside the body cavity, was lots of greenish fluid, and was only on the side of the hurt leg.The fluid was bright, lime green, not dark at all, and had an acidic smell. I assumed the fluid was due to the leg injury and not caused from any internal organ issues. This same thing happened to a different rooster, and I found the same green fluid in the same place. Both chickens had a crippled leg and the fluid.
I am certainly no expert at all, just thought I would describe finding the internal greenish fluid.

Years ago, I had a turkey with an infected, enlarged neck, and we kept drawing off putrid fluid with a syringe, and he survived and thrived.
I hope all is better with your little Lucky. It is such a worry when our animals have problems/pain.

Once a couple of days before butchering day, one of the chickens could not stand and had something wrong with its right leg. Out of curiousity, I did an "autopsy." I slit the skin on the abdomen close to the right leg without cutting deep. Inside that 'pocket' under the skin but still all outside the body cavity, was lots of greenish fluid, and was only on the side of the hurt leg.The fluid was bright, lime green, not dark at all, and had an acidic smell. I assumed the fluid was due to the leg injury and not caused from any internal organ issues. This same thing happened to a different rooster, and I found the same green fluid in the same place. Both chickens had a crippled leg and the fluid.
I am certainly no expert at all, just thought I would describe finding the internal greenish fluid.

Years ago, I had a turkey with an infected, enlarged neck, and we kept drawing off putrid fluid with a syringe, and he survived and thrived.
I hope all is better with your little Lucky. It is such a worry when our animals have problems/pain.
Thank you.

Happy to report Lucky was alive and on the roost when I got home. ❤ Flash was roosting with her.

Lucky’s crop is smaller than when I left, but firm. I’ll see how she is in the morning when I let them out and see if I should work on her crop some more.
I'm so glad! I was wondering if things had gone south when you didn't post earlier, but then I remembered you were on the West Coast, too.

With these old girls, crop disorders often don't cleanly resolve. That doesn't mean they still have a serious crop issue. It just means there is a little something left in the crop in the mornings. Look at it as "good enough".

Instead of torturing you both trying to get an old crop to be perfect, start giving her a probiotic each day. This is the best one for poultry crops: Bacillus subtilis Pop one into her beak each day for the next couple weeks. A probiotic will seed good microbes in her crop and intestines and keep her gut functioning.

Surely you can find it in a health food store. Or, shudder, Walmart.

With these old girls, crop disorders often don't cleanly resolve. That doesn't mean they still have a serious crop issue. It just means there is a little something left in the crop in the mornings. Look at it as "good enough".

Instead of torturing you both trying to get an old crop to be perfect, start giving her a probiotic each day. This is the best one for poultry crops: Bacillus subtilis Pop one into her beak each day for the next couple weeks. A probiotic will seed good microbes in her crop and intestines and keep her gut functioning.

Surely you can find it in a health food store. Or, shudder, Walmart.
That sounds like a good plan. I may give her one dose of warm plain warm water to help her start the day. It’s stormed all day Friday while I was gone… So nice to stay in the coop, and Starvin Thurston sells in these conditions even though I put a couple tarps up.

I have some probiotics meant for poultry in the fridge. I’ll check the expiration date on them. In the past I used to use them to start get fermented feed. I haven’t fermented feed in a long time, but maybe giving them some as a treat for the next few days might be good?

Back
Top Bottom