Does he stand a chance?

Little one was peeping loudly when I went to bed last night, we chatted every hour or so. But when I woke this morning he had died one of the ones under mom externally pipped today so, 3 others have internally pipped. Sad to see someone who was so so close pass away

So sorry! :hugs

You did the best you could and gave him more of a chance... it was not your fault...

Little one was peeping loudly when I went to bed last night, we chatted every hour or so. But when I woke this morning he had died one of the ones under mom externally pipped today so, 3 others have internally pipped. Sad to see someone who was so so close pass away
So sorry he passed. This is a learning curve. I don't have of experience with chickens, but have hatched a few ducklings and goslings and unfortunately have assisted hatch on most because I am having humidity issues. Here's my experience on assisting. Yours will be different because it was too early and the shell is crushed. I agree getting it an incubator with humidity was the best first move. I would use the degree of bleeding and the progress of the siblings to decide how much to intervene. If there's much blood stop and wait and put cornstarch to stop the bleeding. The exertion of pushing out of the egg seems to draw the remainder of the yolk into the belly. When they are out too early or humidity is off they may be attached to the external yolk sac still. If so, leave it be and with activity by the next day likely the yolk will draw in and the umbilicus will dry and sac will detach. If they have internally pipped they are already getting into the airsack and can breath. There's often a day or more between internal and external pip. If they have externally pipped and it has taken 24 hours or more and they are not zipped I've stepped in. I find that advice about Vaseline or coconut oil interesting. When I've helped them, I zipped by tapping hard with my finger nail. I noticed the ones saved from a nest the shell cracked easier than ones from my incubator which were VERY hard (undoubtedly part of my issue). I then pealed the tough white membrane a bit and if there's blood I stop or they will bleed out, they aren't ready yet. If it's been long since external pip the membrane is brittle and brown. Then I expose more around the beak and head by rolling the inner membrane away. I just roll till I start seeing blood vessels and stop. If the inner membrane bleeds much I sprinkle corn starch and stop for a few hours (I've also read flour to stop the bleeding). With my low humidity that inner membrane can dry and tighten around them. (waterfowl require higher humidity than chicks). The inner membrane is damp with blood vessels and stretches. If they are drying and shrink wrapped I roll it back or cut it not where there are vessels. If I can job get a wing and head more mobile they usually can finish. If anything is too wet, gooey, or too bloody, stop let the processes work naturally where vessels close off and yolk absorbs. Let the chick do much of the work don't do it all. Dont try to keep pace with the fastest hatchling in the nest, pace yourself to the ones that are a bit slower than average and you'll have better outcome. Just my advice so far (till I know more and change my thinking). Hope this helps others.

Does anyone on here know if you can give kickin chicken by healthy coat to ducklings goslings or chick? Also poultry booster by rooster booster?

Shouldn't be any reason to give Kickin' Chicken to youngsters, as for the other are you talking about this?

20161221_213517.jpg

Thanks all. It was so sad :'( I know it was what nature must have intended but my mama duck has been awful.... she started her nest with 15 eggs, 2 ended up unfertilized. And she's crushed quite a few, this is the only one I thought to be able to be saved. She only has 4 left in her nest now, a couple late term deaths, but most were smooshed, or she kicked them out for some reason. 2 are internally pipped and 2 have externally pipped and started their zips. Here's hoping these 4 are healthy. Should I take them from her to put in a brooder? Or let her keep them. Based on how many eggs she's broken I'm worried about the babies

Back
Top Bottom