Does my chick look sick?

Possible that some might show symptoms, but if you caught it quick enough and they all drink the water they should recover. Just watch to make sure they are eating and drinking and clean up their poo ;)

Update: Astrid was given her first oral dose earlier and they have now all been giving their first dose in the water!😁 It took me a while because I had to clean out my chicken hospital cage to put them in!😉 She seems to be doing a bit better now that she was moved out and has more room now! She was over by the food and was looking at it so hopefully she will start eating. View attachment 2822790Sorry this picture is very hard to see.😬 She was looking around her new home. She was also running!🤦🏽‍♀🤣 She is such a tough baby!❤️
You moved them?
Why not just leave them all where they were and treat the whole brood?
You want them to have exposure, they don't need to be in a sanitary brooder - you want exposure so they build resistance to what's in their environment.

You moved them?
Why not just leave them all where they were and treat the whole brood?
You want them to have exposure, they don't need to be in a sanitary brooder - you want exposure so they build resistance to what's in their environment.
My parents told me to move them to this cage because my dad is allergic!😉 They were also getting too big (because one of them is a jersey giant). Will it have a bad effect one their health?😨

Last edited:
My parents told me move them to this cage because my dad is allergic!😉 They were also getting too big (because one of them is a jersey giant). Will it have a bad effect one their health?😨
Oh, so you moved them outside?
That's better than them being inside!

They should be fine, just continue to treat them.

Also my big chickens would have to come in contact with the chick poop to get it right? So does it matter if I touch my big chickens after touching my chicks? We’ve been washing our hands after we touch the chicks every time. I was just wondering.😉

Also my big chickens would have to come in contact with the chick poop to get it right? So does it matter if I touch my big chickens after touching my chicks? We’ve been washing our hands after we touch the chicks every time. I was just wondering.😉
Washing hands after handling birds is good practice.

Your adult chickens have resistance to whatever strain(s) of Coccidia that are found in their environment.
The chicks might have a different strain or the adults - don't know.

If you are eventually going to integrate both groups then introducing some soil from the adult's chicken run to the chicks would be good. Same as putting some litter from the chick's housing into the adults run.

I get brooder raised chicks introduced to soil from the chicken runs within a couple of days of hatch, this way they can start building some resistance. Within 2 weeks, I try to do my best to get them to ground.
Broody raised chicks are exposed right off the bat with Mama taking them all over the place.

Update: Here is Astrid today. She was walking around and talking but still fluffed up. She also jumped over one of the other chicks. She is cold because it’s cold outside so she’s been hanging out under the heater. She pooped twice. One was either clear or white liquid (didn’t get too good of a look) and the other was a liquid “clot” looking thing like she pooped yesterday. Didn’t check to see if it was blood or not but it looked brownish so?🤷🏽‍♀️ She got her second dose and all the others got theirs in the water!😉
01D8F180-2EFB-4E22-87EF-AF4D3CCD2088.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom