Does my chicken have a chance?

qunelarch

Hatching
Mar 22, 2021
I have a disabled chicken, who was grabbed by a hawk as a pullet and hasn't been able to walk properly since. She has a good life; she is able to hobble around, eat and drink well, forage for food and she gets along well with one of our older hens. She sleeps in my house at night and spends her days in a pen outside. She's very sassy and lively, doesn't appear to be in any pain.

Yesterday, however, she's started acting very poorly. Her legs are outstretched abnormally, though she's able to grasp with her feet. her comb has gone a lighter color, she's panting and wheezing, and her eyes are dilated. She's been drinking and eating okay, but keeps falling over and panicking. And she stretches her neck out really far and stiffly every once in a while. Definitely seems unwell.

We've been giving her calcium and vitamins, trying to keep her sat up so that she can breathe properly. I'm not sure if it's Marek's or some deficiency or something else... maybe her disability is catching up with her. What do y'all advise? Should we put her down, or wait and hope..?

I'm so sorry, I really ave no insight, but these members hopefully will
@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @Overo Mare @casportpony
Can she eat and drink?

I would try to set her up in a chicken sling. That will hold her up right, and you could even make her a walker so she can try to move around, pictures and a video will help us as well.
To upload a video, you have to post it on a video platform like Youtube, or Vimeo, and then post the link here.

Chicken sling-

Chicken walker-

I hope the experts will chime in soon!

If she isn't drinking, maybe try to syringe a bit of water into her beak, @azygous can explain how to safely do this.
Try wetting her feed to make ti easier for her to eat, I found that spooning a little bit of feed smash into the front her my sick hens beak, got her to swallow it, maybe that will work for your hen? Add sugar to her water, that can help for a boost.
What vitamins are you using?

There is a disease, recently named May's Syndrome, that resembles Guillain-Barre Syndrome. Something usually sets it off, in your hen's case likely the hawk accident predisposed her to this disorder that can attack the nerves. The symptoms are identical to two of my pullets I've been treating for this.

Another possibility is your hen may be predisposed to wry neck, a neurological disorder that can have the symptoms your hen has. This second one is easier to treat, and if the treatment works, then you won't need to mess with the first possibility.

The treatment for wry neck is vitamin E 400iu once a day until the symptoms abate. Give with egg for better absorption.

If that doesn't work, then you might want to look at this thread and get a feel for this syndrome I named after my pullet that is recovering from it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...update-now-another-pullet-going-lame.1432738/

In short, the treatment consisted of an antibiotic Tylan 50, an antiviral acyclovir, vitamin E, B-1, 2, and 6 in a B-complex 100 formula, and aspirin for pain relief.

Just this week, a second pullet relapsed, was acting like she was falling down drunk. After five days of the above treatment, she is now symptom free again.

2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

I have a disabled chicken, who was grabbed by a hawk as a pullet and hasn't been able to walk properly since. She has a good life; she is able to hobble around, eat and drink well, forage for food and she gets along well with one of our older hens. She sleeps in my house at night and spends her days in a pen outside. She's very sassy and lively, doesn't appear to be in any pain.

Yesterday, however, she's started acting very poorly. Her legs are outstretched abnormally, though she's able to grasp with her feet. her comb has gone a lighter color, she's panting and wheezing, and her eyes are dilated. She's been drinking and eating okay, but keeps falling over and panicking. And she stretches her neck out really far and stiffly every once in a while. Definitely seems unwell.

We've been giving her calcium and vitamins, trying to keep her sat up so that she can breathe properly. I'm not sure if it's Marek's or some deficiency or something else... maybe her disability is catching up with her. What do y'all advise? Should we put her down, or wait and hope..?
I'm sorry about your hen.
How old is she?
Has she ever laid eggs?

If you can post some photos or a video of her, that may be helpful.

Do you notice any bloat or swelling of her abdomen?

I am the OP's Mother. Clover the chicken is a little over a year old. She does lay and has done so successful and consistently with no issues until just a couple of days ago. She was acting strange and like she was egg bound. She finally passed the egg, but then I noticed she didn't have control over her legs. I've had an aviary for years and have seen this a couple of times in laying birds. Usually doses of calcium in the water and the hens are fine in a day or so. We kept her inside that day and the next day she laid an egg with a shell so soft I'm not sure how she passed it. No eggs for two days now , and I'm really hoping she will just stop laying all together at this point. I am giving her calcium and fish oil along with flax seed in her scrambled eggs. She is eating and drinking water. Here is the last video of her taken on March 9th.
. She was acting antsy in the box and she hadn't pooped in a bit so I took her outside and she immediately pooped and then started eating. She has been in this position (leg wise) before and her legs are acting just like they did when she was first attacked by the hawk. When it first happened, I kept her a box and used vet wrap to hobble her legs so she could stand as the healing progressed (she was unable to stand up for a while). It was pretty successful, she generally leads a spoiled happy life. I have fashioned another box for her to keep her upright. I will continue with the calcium and fish oil and will try to fashion another rehabilitation box that works a little better then the current one. Here is a video taken just a few minutes ago.

Good video and update.

This hen has very similar symptoms as my two pullets with "May's Syndrome".

Try including E and B vitamins in your vitamin therapy for her. But I urge you to read through the thread I linked to. You might decide it's worth it to try the Tylan and if you can get some acyclovir, even better.

Back
Top Bottom