May 15, 2019
This African gosling is approximately 5 weeks old.

Most of its diet through the past 4 weeks consists of Mazuri Waterfowl Starter and romaine lettuce but also had a little Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles (non-medicated) and cabbage. It seemed to eat a little of grass in my parent's backyard last week, but I'm not sure.

Although it did get exercise outside during daytime last week, it mostly stays inside because it's rainy and windy, with the temperature not higher than 67 degrees Fahrenheit.

Is there any health concern? What should I do?

AW1.jpg
AW2.jpg

AW3.jpg

AW4.jpg

Last edited:
It does not look like a wing problem at this point. Just keep your eye on it and if it does get worse look for postings here on how to wrap angle wing. I have one goose that has it. I wrapped it several times while she was young and it always came back. she does not have any problems with it and one of our ganders bonded with her right away. She seems happy and not at all handicapped by it.

It does not look like a wing problem at this point. Just keep your eye on it and if it does get worse look for postings here on how to wrap angle wing. I have one goose that has it. I wrapped it several times while she was young and it always came back. she does not have any problems with it and one of our ganders bonded with her right away. She seems happy and not at all handicapped by it.
Thanks for replying.

From what I read from a book, angel wing doesn't seem to cause a pet goose any problem, but I worry I'm not giving it balanced nutrition.

Is it possible that the gosling is having a wing problem that's not angel wing?

Sometimes when wing feathers come in they are heavy to them so they can hang down a bit. I have one muscovy hen that has angel wing. I tried taping but she just escaped it every time so I gave up. Her last wing feather stick out a bit.

I have read Angel wing can be genetic or from too much protein. I am just learning about geese, mine come in 2 weeks.

I have read to give them chopped up grass for greens. Lettuce often is mostly water. You also could give them dandelion greens. If possible I would take them out daily to eat some grass and walk around. They will grab what they want outside. I don't think I would do cabbage at their age, but I am still a novice too with geese.

Angel wing can be mild or severe. I don't think yours has it, it just looks like drooping heavy wings. If it starts twisting outwards or upwards than you can try taping for a few days to see if it will correct itself.

Back
Top Bottom