Does this look like Marek's Disease?

bpilgrim

Chirping
Jul 10, 2015
Hi Everyone, I'm worried my sweet young silkie has Marek's disease. She has been like this for about 4 days. I brought her inside the house when I noticed she was not able to get up the ramp to go into her house at night, and took her outside today just so I could video her walking. She was not vaccinated for Marek's. Was hoping someone could offer some advice on what this is. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've posted the video to YouTube at

0.jpg

While you are trying to figure out the problem, poultry vitamins containing riboflavin, should be added to the water, just in case of a deficiency. I would look her over to see if it is just the one leg that is not working well, feel the toes to see if they move at all or feel pain, and place her near food and water. If chickens have Mareks, they can starve from not being able to reach food and water. There are some very good links to read about Mareks if you do a search at the top of this page. Look for "The Big Giant Mareks Faq" by Nambroth. Most times Mareks can only be diagnosed with a blood test or a necropsy by a vet or poultry lab. Let us know how she is doing in a day or so.

Yes, bpilgrim, it certainly looks like Marek's.

Marek's is such a heartbreak! I ordered 17 day-old Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers last Spring from a considerable distance. They endured 3 days USPS without any losses (the breeder had sent several extras in case). I ended up losing 6 of the 17, however, to Marek's by 14 weeks. I sent the first one off right away for a necropsy. This was a very expensive summer. Some died and some I took to the Vet to euthanize. I isolated each chicken immediately when they demonstrated weakness and wanted to sleep on the floor instead of roost. I had a separate building with crates/straw/food/water (this is the only way they can be kept by the food and water). When they are this young there isn't much hope. I did have an adult later on who became weak, progressing to leg issues. I isolated her immediately and in about a week she regained her health. BUT....now it is there forever!

Effectiveness of vaccination is hotly debated because of the different strains. Does anybody have any new information?

Judi "ChickChic45"

Sorry she inst doing well.
hugs.gif

Check the bottom of her foot for any Abnormalities.But it does look like Mareks.It will probably get so bad that she wont be able to walk.The chance of her surviving is slim but it can happen.All of your chickens are infected with the virus and will be carriers for life.Is she eating or drinking?

Last edited:
Yes, still eating and drinking like a champ, no sign of wounds or broken bones, or anything irregular with her feet. She seems to be walking on her hocks.

OK, Vaulted skills...I need to read up on this. Silkies are my favorites, I just live them all. Thanks for this, I'll start reading. :)

Thanks Judi, it gives me a little bit of hope. I am keeping on eye on her, and hoping for the best. Fingers crossed.

Yes, still eating and drinking like a champ, no sign of wounds or broken bones, or anything irregular with her feet. She seems to be walking on her hocks.
Walking on hocks can be a sign of riboflavin deficiency, especially if the toes are curling under. Chickens with Mareks or other neurological diseases can also walk on hocks. Here are some good links to read about Mareks and riboflavin deficiency, but please keep us up to date on her condition:
https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
http://www.thehappychickencoop.com/mareks-disease/

Hi Everyone, thanks for all the responses to my post. My chicken is still the same, No noteable progression towards either better or worse. She is still eating and drinking, and I got my hands on two items. I would like to reach out to see which one you recommend for my birdie....I've got Poultry Nutri-drench, and the Poly Vi-Sol. Nutri-drench contains a lot more things than the Poly Vi-Sol, but appears to be lacking Riboflavin and Vit E (which Poly Vi-Sol includes). Should I give the Nutri-drench and add a separate dose of Riboflavin and Vit E? If so, how much? My bird weighs 1.5 pounds.

Both contain Vitamins A and D3 and Thiamine.

Additionally, the Poly Vi-Sol does not explicitly say "without iron", but I don't see it listed as an item on the bottle either, so assuming it has none.

Nutri drench does contain some iron and the list of what is in it can be found here: https://www.drugs.com/vet/poultry-nutri-drench.html

Oh, and one more question...If it is Marek's how quickly does it generally progress?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom