Does this look like the "grey eye" of Merek's?

lillyandlarry

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2015
I have a rooster that is almost a year old and I have recently noticed that his eyes seem a little lighter colored compared to everyone else's. There is one other hen that has lighter colored eyes but unfortunately she won't let me get close enough to take a picture. The rooster has been going through a rough couple of months (frost bitten feet, lost about half of every toe, still gets around fine though) but I wasn't sure if that would affect his eye color.
[/IMG] other eye
I have never dealt with Merek's before and I'm really hoping I won't have to.

Last edited:
I have dealt with Mareks a good amount and has been in my flock for about a year now. I feel like if your rooster had mareks, I feel like you would see more symptoms other than eye color changing if its early on. It honestly might be his eye color unless it never used to be a light color. Here is a picture of my roosters eye when he had Mareks. Mind you when I noticed his eye color changing he already could not walk and was not eating for a few days.

Mareks affected eye.

Other eye

Thank you for replying. He's showing no other symptoms and is still the biggest pig of the flock (still enjoys being a bully too
1f644.png
). I never noticed it before, but I guess that could just be me not paying close attention. Do you think the trauma of losing his toes could cause his eyes to change colors?

I have a rooster that is almost a year old and I have recently noticed that his eyes seem a little lighter colored compared to everyone else's. There is one other hen that has lighter colored eyes but unfortunately she won't let me get close enough to take a picture. The rooster has been going through a rough couple of months (frost bitten feet, lost about half of every toe, still gets around fine though) but I wasn't sure if that would affect his eye color.
[/URL] other eye I have never dealt with Merek's before and I'm really hoping I won't have to.
It looks like ocular Marek's to me.

Back
Top Bottom