Does this poop look normal

homeschoolchick

Songster
12 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Mechanicsville, MD
I know there are pictures, but this is from a hen after corid treatments. They are now receiving vitamins and probiotics. Towards the end of the treatment she had watery stool and now it is more wet than formed. Is this normal?
I have a picture of the watery one and then this mornings wet/semi-formed one. She seems thirsty this morning too. She is eating and acting normal though. She loves her mealworm treat.

Attachments

• 20231223_090809.jpg
    20231223_090809.jpg
    697.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20231222_085509.jpg
    20231222_085509.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 5
I know there are pictures, but this is from a hen after corid treatments. They are now receiving vitamins and probiotics. Towards the end of the treatment she had watery stool and now it is more wet than formed. Is this normal?
I have a picture of the watery one and then this mornings wet/semi-formed one. She seems thirsty this morning too. She is eating and acting normal though. She loves her mealworm treat.
I don't see anything to actively be worried about or hear any behavioral concerns like going off feed or withdrawal from the flock, lethargy, etc. The watery white stuff is urates.. that's how chickens pass urine., essentially in every dropping. Yellow urates would indicate a problem.

The other one looks "normal" also.

If in doubt.. consider having it (the droppings) checked for parasites by the vet, looking at it under a microscope yourself, or even trying a mail order sample kit.

FWIW.. only one or two of the 9-11 strains of coccidia currently known to effect poultry may present as blood in droppings.. all others may not.. and Corid is LESS effective against some strains (and in some locations)... most "hens" (chickens over a year old) *should* have strong immunity against it but coccidiosis may rear it's ugly head in older birds especially if there is an underlying (sometimes hidden) condition among the flock.

Also only large round worm species and tape worms may ever be seen in droppings by the naked eye.. All others stay inside the intestines and only their microscopic eggs may be passed.

That's just basic info.. without knowing/asking.. how old is your bird, why did you feel the need to treat using Corid, flock size, range size, molting, laying, feed routine, etc, and all kinds of questions.. If you have a prior thread on her condition consider linking it here so we can answer from a more informed perspective may be useful.

Hopefully you will get some more feedback from other experienced keepers and your flock will continue to thrive. Always use YOUR best judgement. :fl

I have two Polish girls, who have not started laying yet, in quarentine. They have been there since November 26th. I had picked the two girls up, plus a rooster. The rooster had started having a lot of bloody diarrhea on day 12 of quarentine. I had a thread on him, because at one point it looked like he had oart of his intestines out and then the next day nothing was there. He seemed to be fine after that and very energetic, but since then has passed. He was doing great until a few days ago. He looked lethargic one day, then the next worse, day 3 he passed. I gave corid for 7 days, on day 8, 9, and I used half strength , but then when he was acting off I switched to giving probiotics and vitamins.
The girls never had any symptoms of coccidiosis. They had been fine until after he passed and now the one girl is having the loose stools.
They are eating flock raiser crumbles, and have about a small handful of treats in the morning and before bed. The treats are a mix of mealworms and mixed grains. They have been having vitamins and probiotics in their water for a few days now and this morning I did vitamins and ACV instead of probiotics. There have been zero signs of a respiratory issue.
When the rooster died, I opened him up, and not knowing what to look for, the only weird thing I saw was his heart looked blue. I can attach that photo.
I also have two new photos of her watery poop.
I am wondering if I should deworm them?
I called around and no vet will perform a fecal. One vet will if I bring the chicken in too but they will charge about $200 total for the exam and fecal test. The odd thing is, when I called around about my sick rooster, they all said they won't see poultry. This time I was just asking about the fecal, and now the vet office sees poultry!?
I appreciate any thoughts on the stools. I want everything to look solid before I introduce them to my other girls. I hate nkt knowing what happened to the rooster, and now I am wondering if something is going on with the girls. They are acting normal, eating food, and drinking.

Attachments

• 20231223_120106.jpg
    20231223_120106.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20231223_120058.jpg
    20231223_120058.jpg
    777.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231221_120400.jpg
    20231221_120400.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom