Does your town's ordinance include humane treatment of hens?

Eskie

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 28, 2010
Howdy!

I live in a small town in NH where backyard chicken keeping is allowed even though there's no specific ordinance. A lot of people treat their chickens VERY well with plenty of (or at least adequate) space and access to housing, BUT some do not. I've seen some chickens crammed in outdoor cages with NO access to housing and it gets COLD here. I've seen ducks with no access to water, not even a bucket to dunk their heads in! So...I'm starting a petition to have an ordinance passed that would require a certain amount of space and access to some type of housing. If your town includes space and housing requirements in its ordinance, please let me know! Any info. would be helpful! Thanks!
smile.png

Quote:
Uh, if the ducks didn't have any water, they would not live more than couple of days. Perhaps their owners take them a bucket of water at regular intervals but don't leave it out all of the time.

Animal cruelty laws that are already on your town books should apply to all animals, unless it specifically states that it ONLY applies to certain types or specifically states that some animals are exempt from protection.

Quote:
Uh, if the ducks didn't have any water, they would not live more than couple of days. Perhaps their owners take them a bucket of water at regular intervals but don't leave it out all of the time.

Animal cruelty laws that are already on your town books should apply to all animals, unless it specifically states that it ONLY applies to certain types or specifically states that some animals are exempt from protection.

Thanks for your reply, Rozzie. In the case of the ducks the people do have a water bottle attached to the side of the cage for the duck and chickens to drink. I was meaning a bucket or tub of water for the duck to at least dunk its head in. I've read if they don't have at least that, they will be very unhappy as they are acquatic animals. I wish there were animal cruelty laws pertaining to chickens already on the books, but I've checked and there's nothing. I think that's true just about anywhere. As you know as a chicken owner, chickens can suffer from being crammed together, left outside in bitter cold temps, etc.. - that's why I'm concerned.

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, I'm sorry, but after reading the posts to this thread, I'm now confused. In the first post, it was stated that the ducks, "have no access to water." In the second post, it was clarified that the ducks, "do have a water bottle attached to the side of the cage for the duck and chickens to drink." Have you tried talking to your neighbors and expressing your concerns? (I'm assuming these folks mentioned in the above posts are some of your neighbors, no?) it may be that some city ordinance there deems certain "structures" allowable to house x number of chickens within x number of property footage. It could also be that the birds are offered water in which to bathe or dunk their heads periodically, and the chicken cages covered at night when the temps are cold, and it just isn't done during a time when you have been there to observe. Could it possibly be that these chickens are being housed in these cages for their own protection from larger animals in the neighborhood, or that this is a temporary measure while more suitable housing for them is being built? IMRHO,
old.gif
communicating with your neighbors would be the first place to start and then go from there. Animal cruelty ordinances are very likely already in the city books and should cover these animals as the other poster stated. There seems to be a lot of assumptions being made on whether or not this is animal cruelty. What you consider as "animal cruelty," others may not. Some consider that putting a dog in a goofy outfit is animal cruelty, and obviously some do not!
idunno.gif
Again, IMRHO, in these current times of Big Brother, Big Gov't, and folks fearing they are losing many of their rights as it is, to start a petition to have an ordinance passed that would require this, that, and a whatever, drawing city officials onto peoples' properties and into their lives with vague references of "possible" animal cruelty, may open a Pandora's box that you may later wish you had left shut. I don't know your neighbors, but I'm just sayin'...

Back
Top Bottom