Dog Advice needed ASAP!!!

I think the dog views you as his possession, which is not a good thing, and it's likely, then, that he views your daughter that way, too. He's probably biting to protect what belongs to him (you), but what's "his" is also his to dominate and bite. I hope you figure out what's best all around for the situation.
hugs.gif

let me clarify; when i say throw a treat, i mean when the dog is not showing aggressive behavior, otherwise ignoring it and not making eye contact. and literally throw a treat, gently, from a distance - so that there's no chance of a bite/aggression when the reward is given. it rewards the -absence- of the aggressive behavior by giving the treat when the dog is not threatening, which helps in building up a positive association with men. this is a technique i learned from a professional dog trainer. i still think professional classes/training are necessary. and i do agree that the dog is acting possessive of the females in the home, which is something to be aware of, but this can be typical of doxies.

i'll be quiet now
big_smile.png
good luck!

Thanks everyone.

As I said the dog has been with us 6 days and seems to growl/bite the male friend that lives with us.

He bite on the toes/ankle, as the guy walked passed him.

I appreciate all the advice.

Update:

Early this evening my daughter was eating at the dinningroom table and my husband was watching tv by his computer at the other end of the dinning area. The kitchen is attached to the dinning area.

The dog sat on my hubby's lap with no issues. He petted him and they watched tv together. Earlier he climbed into my daughter's lap, no issues. She pet him, he licked her etc.

Than I was making dinner and the male friend this dog has issues with entered the kitchen to help me cook. The dog snarled, but did not growl or bite. After the guy left where I was standing in the kitchen and went toward where my husband was sitting (near the table)....

The dog started growling and barking at the guy. i immediated grabbed his leash he was wearing and told him no.

The guy went in front of the dog in a stern force and told the dog, he was boss, not the dog.

The dog was still on the leash in my hand after the guy told the dog off, he retreated and laid down (I still had him on the leash).

My male friend thinks this dog is trouble and that the dog may cause serious injury to a person or animal.

My issue is: My disabled daughter is making great improvements since we got the dog.

I am stressed over this, I feel caught in the middle.

Do I keep the dog, continue training it and hope for the best, or do I give it back to the "Foster family" the dog came from, at the risk of my daughter being emotional hurt and her progress ending?

well, something right off the bat - dogs are really good at knowing when someone doesn't like them. your friend and the dog got off to a bad start, now your friend doesn't like the dog, the dog knows it, the cycle perpetuates. =/ this interaction is a ticking time bomb. "dominating" a dog is NOT always 100% the right way to fix it, and done incorrectly/inappropriately, can make the issue worse.

PLEASE seek professional help. i have experience with "trouble dogs," and asking for help online is great BUT there are sooo many very subtle things about dog behavior that you just can't describe online if you don't know exactly what you're looking for. this is the best advice i can give you.

You've already gotten some good advice here. Crating the dog or babygating a part of your home when the dog cannot be dealt with or supervised is very smart. Make sure this dog doesn't have any more oppourtunities to use aggression this means being 100% vigilant, if you can't watch him, put him away.
thumbsup.gif

These are your next steps:

1) Evaluate your finances and call trainers in your area, make sure they know its aggression you need help with
2) From there evaluate if this is really worth the risk
3) Get your chosen trainer to come and do a behavior and training evaluation
4) Be prepared for a quick and decisive decision on whether to keep the dog or euthanize
5) If you decide to keep him, prepare for many training sessions and be committed to the cause

Good luck with this. It might help to know where you live and I might be able to recommend a trainer in your area.
smile.png

I rescue dogs as a hobby and I'm one of those foster families.

I say return the dog to them. Let them place it or do as they see fit. It sounds like you have enough on your plate. You are probably on the right track to get a dog for your daughter, but that isn't the right dog. The longer you have it the more attached you may become and it may get worse over time when it settles in, I often see my foster dogs misbehave about one month into life at the adoptive home. Kind of like the honeymoon is over and the dog sees how much they can get away with. Deciding to euthanize it would be heartbreaking for your daughter, I'd give it back now and look immediately for a better match.

There are some dogs with wonderful temperaments to be had....search for personality FIRST and other qualities later.

If that dog will bite your friend..he WILL bite your kid someday too...
Just my opinion..
No way i'd risk my kids face.. or worse!.. nope. I couldnt even imagine how i'd feel.. can you?
Doggie needs to go to another home where there are no children... at the very least... maybe even put down. A human agressive dog is NOT something for a child to be around..

Back
Top Bottom