Dog allergies any tips or advice?

Well, here is what I would do:

• Have his thyroid tested (blood test).
  • Have him tested for food allergies (blood test).

I know these tests are not cheap, but very useful in the long run.

• Start him on the above posted feed testing and home cooked/raw meals of real food.

After getting the results, go from there, if necessary giving him thyroid medication and/or avoiding the food that tested positive.
I did think it was quite strange that our vet rubbished the allergy testing, that was one of the first questions I asked. He also offered me two options, 1, an injection every month for £112 or 2, the tablets at £62 a month, I think the allergy and thyroid testing would be worth it in the long run, that way, at least I know what the problem is and can deal with it accordingly 🙂

I did think it was quite strange that our vet rubbished the allergy testing, that was one of the first questions I asked. He also offered me two options, 1, an injection every month for £112 or 2, the tablets at £62 a month, I think the allergy and thyroid testing would be worth it in the long run, that way, at least I know what the problem is and can deal with it accordingly 🙂
Yeah, of course! :rolleyes: 🤑

You have many more, and more reasonable options than that.

I would consider it best to find yourself another vet who is more interested in the wellbeing of your dog instead of the wellbeing of his bank account. They still exist. And have the testing done with the new vet.

Yeah, of course! :rolleyes: 🤑

You have many more, and more reasonable options than that.

I would consider it best to find yourself another vet who is more interested in the wellbeing of your dog instead of the wellbeing of his bank account. They still exist. And have the testing done with the new vet.
I absolutely agree, I just needed a second opinion. Thank you so much for your advice and for giving me the confidence to challenge this 😁👍

Sorry your baby is suffering. Allergies in dogs definitely cause itching of the ear canal along with break outs on the body. Ears become red and leather looking. Dogs can have food allergies however pollen allergies are even more common. I would start with getting him on a limited diet which does not contain gluten grains like corn or wheat. Chicken, beef are the most common protein allergy foods. And avoid plain potatoes too, peas can also cause allergic reactions. Don't walk him first thing in the morning or late evening when pollen levels are the highest. Pollen is absorbed through the skin of the dog rather than the sinuses, so wipe the dogs feet and nose/face after he comes inside to remove any pollen. Supplements with Colostrum, Quercetin and Salmon Oil can greatly reduce the body's reaction to pollen and food allergies.

Good luck with your dog!

Hi
Just a little update, I know it’s only just over a week, but so far so good! Firstly we will not be using the family vet again, and secondly, we have completely changed Loki’s diet as advised. Also give him probiotics each morning, which gives allergy support, digestive health and immunity support. He seems a lot happier and is not licking his paws constantly, or scratching at his ears. Also, we have a freedom fence so our back door was always open so the dogs could come and go as they please. With winter coming and it being colder, we have closed the door, they only go out when I see they need the toilet, so I think the grass pollens is a very good point and will be watching for that. Thank you all for your helpful advice 😊👍

Lots of opinions here, not all to the point.
First, you are treating his ears, so necessary, and may be necessary longer, depending on what his triggers are.
Then, the only reliable way to figure out food ingredient issues is to change all the meats and maybe the grains in his diet, for closer to twelve weeks total. It's nice if he clears up sooner, but it does take that long to be sure. If you change a couple of the ingredients at a time, he'll be old before you get through the entire list!
Blood allergy testing is not good in dogs for food ingredients, it's about the food trial!
Here in the USA, there are issues with some of the 'grain free' diets containing peas or lentils, so look them up before switching to one of those. It's more likely to be one of the meats, actually, rather than a grain, although anything is possible.
Here the blood tests for environmental allergies are pretty good, but you still need that food trial, so most of us do that first.
I've had three dogs that are allergic to food ingredients, and my current two dogs have that problem, besides multiple environmental allergies, by testing. They are doing well on a Rx diet for their food issues, and then some management for their 'allergic to everything in the back yard' problems.
Seeing a veterinary dermatologist might not be a bad idea, if things don't get under control.
Mary

Lots of opinions here, not all to the point.
First, you are treating his ears, so necessary, and may be necessary longer, depending on what his triggers are.
Then, the only reliable way to figure out food ingredient issues is to change all the meats and maybe the grains in his diet, for closer to twelve weeks total. It's nice if he clears up sooner, but it does take that long to be sure. If you change a couple of the ingredients at a time, he'll be old before you get through the entire list!
Blood allergy testing is not good in dogs for food ingredients, it's about the food trial!
Here in the USA, there are issues with some of the 'grain free' diets containing peas or lentils, so look them up before switching to one of those. It's more likely to be one of the meats, actually, rather than a grain, although anything is possible.
Here the blood tests for environmental allergies are pretty good, but you still need that food trial, so most of us do that first.
I've had three dogs that are allergic to food ingredients, and my current two dogs have that problem, besides multiple environmental allergies, by testing. They are doing well on a Rx diet for their food issues, and then some management for their 'allergic to everything in the back yard' problems.
Seeing a veterinary dermatologist might not be a bad idea, if things don't get under control.
Mary
Hi Mary
We have changed his diet, chicken, rice and I have been mixing raw egg and grounded egg shells into the rice amongst other stuff, sounds revolting, but he loves it. Our family vet rubbished the idea of allergy testing, he said it was a complete waste of money and it wasn’t accurate. We have Loki booked into a new vet, his first appointment is on Friday, so hopefully we will have him tested and go from there. We have been using Surolan for his ears. I’m just made up that he is a lot more comfortable now and seems happier 🙂

Back
Top Bottom