Dog attack help

Mrichard0930

Songster
7 Years
Sep 15, 2016
hello im sitting with my duck who was at the vet all night due to a dog attack. Yesterday we found him buried himself in bushes and non responsive with his head tucked completely under his body. I was devastated but happy he was still alive so so we rushed him to emergency vet. I finally Saw a quarter size hole right before surgery. It’s so hard to inspect them for wounds. Turns out He had a lot of wounds about 40 stitched up. Vet said air sac was preserved by millimeters. He had one bad one that tore muscle. He has him on clavamox anti biotic. Gabapentin pain and an injectable for pain also. When we got him home at 6 am we put him in dog pen in our basement which is where he was raised from duckling to 8 months. He comes with his woman who was perfectly fine so we reunited them. At 6 am laying him in I put him in blanket and he literally just plopped flat I tucked his head a little up but he pulled it down. I just took him out at 11 am to start his meds. In cage he was standing with his head tucked under. He keeps tucking his head down so low or under body which I don’t understand what is wrong. At vet he did lift head and when we brought him home and got out of car he instantly lifted his head up. So we gave him his injection its worrisome wondering if we are even doing it right near breast bone in the meat. We put his clavamox in a blueberry but he won’t eat. So we let it dissolve in water which he drank some. But now he threw up a little about three times no idea why. His heart was beating fast I could hear it he was shaking. It’s been 15 mins since injection and he seems a little better so I’m not sure but maybe that was because he was feeling pain? Did he maybe throw up from the pill? Are there ways I can get him his clavamox then in food or shoving down throat? Should I be holding him? We held them here and there but not daily so I’m wondering if it’s addin stress? In cage with his woman they paid no mind to each other and he just laid there head drooped flat on side. We keep worrying about how he just lets his head fall is that more comfortable ? I’m holding him trying to prop his head up but don’t know if maybe that’s more uncomfortable? I’m so worried about his recovery and want to do the best I can for him so any suggestions would be helpful? Also are there any normal side effects I’m worried about the puking before he does it he shakes his head and one time even had his tongue out. Thanks everyone!

To get his meds into him, you could crush it up, dissolve it in a small amount of water, then suck it up into a syringe. Then you would slide the syringe into his mouth and to HIS right, that's important, his right, not your right. It would be your left. His esophagus is back there. Then when you've got the syringe in and pushed all the way to the back a little into his esophagus, you would squirt the meds in.

A picture to help you visualize:

1183951-b0cebe79bbb1bbc64bf81e49825dc94f.jpg

The hole at the base of the tongue you see is the trachea, do NOT put it there. As long as you go off to the right and get it into his esophagus, you don't have to worry about aspiration.

Or, you could get the supplies to tube feed him and tube it into him. It's very safe, done correctly there is no chance of causing aspiration. Tubing is something you might also want to look into if he doesn't start to eat on his own soon. You could tube feed him to get him through the worst of the healing until he's ready to eat on his own, if it becomes necessary.

Also, if you haven't, you might want to provide a heat lamp for him. With the shock and stress he's probably having trouble regulating his body temperature, so a nice warm spot that he can get to if he wants will help.

To get his meds into him, you could crush it up, dissolve it in a small amount of water, then suck it up into a syringe. Then you would slide the syringe into his mouth and to HIS right, that's important, his right, not your right. It would be your left. His esophagus is back there. Then when you've got the syringe in and pushed all the way to the back a little into his esophagus, you would squirt the meds in.

The hole at the base of the tongue you see is the trachea, do NOT put it there. As long as you go off to the right and get it into his esophagus, you don't have to worry about aspiration.

Or, you could get the supplies to tube feed him and tube it into him. It's very safe, done correctly there is no chance of causing aspiration. Tubing is something you might also want to look into if he doesn't start to eat on his own soon. You could tube feed him to get him through the worst of the healing until he's ready to eat on his own, if it becomes necessary.

Also, if you haven't, you might want to provide a heat lamp for him. With the shock and stress he's probably having trouble regulating his body temperature, so a nice warm spot that he can get to if he wants will help.
THANK YOU REPLY.jpg

How big are the pills? Are they 250 mg? If so, I would give them orally as shown in the videos below.

Maybe I should clarify why I mentioned 250 mg's. It's because IMO they are small enough that they can be given orally, but something like a 375 mg or 500 mg might be too big. @Mrichard0930, if you think they are too big, just cut them in half.

duck_mouth_1-png.1240071

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

Last edited:
It is so nice to see everyone helping and this is all such great information. But unfortunetly he died in my arms I was holding him in a quite room upstairs and after gagging a few times and spitting up he started moving his body a lot and his head then just passed away. I am in total shock as I thought he would make it through. We only got to give him the paininjection so now I feel like it was my fault and maybe we shouldn’t have although the vet said to in 6 hours. I have a egg his female laid earlier between 6-10 am and I just wrapped it up in hay out side in heat. My new question is can we incubate this egg and maybe even the one from past two days and possibly hatch a baby Donald ? Thank again everyone I truly appreciate this forum or so many caring people here to help,

It is so nice to see everyone helping and this is all such great information. But unfortunetly he died in my arms I was holding him in a quite room upstairs and after gagging a few times and spitting up he started moving his body a lot and his head then just passed away. I am in total shock as I thought he would make it through. We only got to give him the paininjection so now I feel like it was my fault and maybe we shouldn’t have although the vet said to in 6 hours. I have a egg his female laid earlier between 6-10 am and I just wrapped it up in hay out side in heat. My new question is can we incubate this egg and maybe even the one from past two days and possibly hatch a baby Donald ? Thank again everyone I truly appreciate this forum or so many caring people here to help,
RIP...Sorry..:frow

Back
Top Bottom