Dog Attack-Injured Feral Pigeon

Update: Bird is well and getting feistier every day. I have good news: yesterday when I was catching him to bring him in for the night he managed a few short flights and one flight across the whole yard. It looks like it was just a matter of taking off? But he hasn't gained his full flight back yet and I would hate for him to try to leave before he's ready and crash and get killed. So he's staying cooped for now. Yesterday he wandered over to the pigeon coop and watched them eating and Peach came up to the wire and warned him off with his dance.
Bird managed to nab me with his beak today and he tugged my finger around, shaking his head like he was some Rottweiler trying to tear it off. He's gotten into the daily routine and waits for me at his cage door for me to feed him, and when he sees me coming across the yard to his log to catch him for the night, he jumps off and starts zooming away.

There also seems to be a dove coming down into the yard when Bird is out... maybe it thinks he's a possible mate or something?

I think Bird is just about recovered! Flying well, no head twisting or wing tremors. Maybe it was just some head trauma? Normally when I go to pick him up he starts twisting and flapping but he just gets up and flaps away. He's being roomates with my quail and they are all well together. But he still needs other pigeons. I'm hoping I can give him my youngest bird, who is lonely herself as a friend and they could be kept separate from my pair. But I'm not sure its safe yet and don't want to risk it.

I'd really like to keep him, and I think he would have a better life here with me than out on the streets.
Thoughts?

I have some bad(ish) news. I went into Bird's cage to give him more water, and he was on his perch. I left the door open because I thought he was still too weak to fly and even if he did go out he wouldn't be able to take off. But, as things usually go, he jumped off the perch, flew out the door, and was a tiny speck over the trees before I could even figure out what happened.
I wouldn't be too worried he wouldn't make it back... but it was already almost sunset when he took off, and my house is 33 miles from the park I got him from. So I hope that he made it back without getting lost or eaten.
I will look for him next time I go for that park, and I can tell him apart because I put a blue leg band on him.

Safe travels, Bird!

Back
Top Bottom