Dog attack killed most of flockšŸ˜­, advise on helping the survivors

We have reinforced the yard and coop,new locks, higher fencing,stronger gate and door.

We also pressed charges against the owner. This was the third attack in the neighborhood this year by her dogs running loose.
Please keep us updated about how the charges are going. More often then not you will lose or you will win but the owner will just keep letting her dogs roam :mad:

I'm sorry to hear of your heartbreak.

Are their wounds healing up ok?

Once recovered, I would think they should come back into lay. We are approaching shorter days with reduced sunlight, so the hens may not come back into lay until after winter solstice which is in December. Personally, I wouldn't expect eggs until probably January, but hens can surprise you!

They are resilient and will adapt to the loss of their flock. They may be a bit more flighty for a good while but should settle down.

As for adding new birds...if there's room, then I don't see why not. Most of us add new birds every year or two to help keep production going through fall/winter. Older birds can take the winter off, so up and coming pullets can fill in with their winter egg laying. You may want to wait until spring and get some chicks are even POL Pullets - it all depends on how you're set-up and what you are looking for.
Thatā€™s is what we are hoping, with seasons changing and shorter days. They are doing so much better every day. One was pretty severely mauled and became a house chicken for a bit, but she is back with the group and all are adjusting.

sending hugs i canā€™t imagine. :hugs i lost a duck last summer and one with 3 punctures the others were just frightened. The cops warned the neighbors but exactly a week later the dog came back thankfully we saw the dog in time and no one got injured. They ended up getting their dog taken away and got a misdemeanor

Back
Top Bottom