Need advice

TaterSalad333

Hatching
Jul 31, 2023
Out of nowhere a lot of our hens started attacking one hen. Bad enough that she now has a major bloody head wound. To get them to stop and from what I’ve read we’ve separated her into a dog kennel within the run. We’ve also been using a healing aid + skin repair on the wound. A couple days have passed (during this time a hen escaped and was eaten by a dog) needless to say all hens are stressed and not laying very well.

My main question is at what point do I consider euthanizing the injured hen? My worry is even if her wounds heel once we put her back with the flock it will happen again.

Welcome to BYC. When chickens attack a known long term flock member, that chicken may be exhibiting some type of behavior that says she is sick and maybe dying. Check her out all over. How does her crop feel? What does poop look like, and pictures are welcome. Is her tail position up or down? Has she been eating or drinking, or walking funny? Does she lay eggs? Have you checked her skin for lice or mites running around? For peck wounds, usually plain Neosporin applied to the wound twice a day is fine, and keep flies away.

Welcome to BYC. When chickens attack a known long term flock member, that chicken may be exhibiting some type of behavior that says she is sick and maybe dying. Check her out all over. How does her crop feel? What does poop look like, and pictures are welcome. Is her tail position up or down? Has she been eating or drinking, or walking funny? Does she lay eggs? Have you checked her skin for lice or mites running around? For peck wounds, usually plain Neosporin applied to the wound twice a day is fine, and keep flies away.
So all our chickens are roughly a year old. We got 6 Australorps (these chickens are mainly the ones attaching the easter egger) then about 5 weeks later we got 2 silkies and an easter egger. They've lived peacefully till now. I have not observed anything wrong with her, everything appears fine with her, laying and acting completely normal. The only thing that comes slightly to mind is that she has acted more protective of the smaller silkies starting about a month ago. As we don't have a rooster I wondered if she was starting to try and show dominance? But I could be completely wrong. But again my main worry is introducing her back in the flock. I fear they will hurt her again or even kill her.

If it’s a continuing issue for her to be attacked, I don’t think she should be euthanized for that. It’s not her fault. If she’s ill, keep her separated. Assess what’s going on with her and give treatment (along with the head wound). I don’t know what your coop setup is, but perhaps consider separating her and the Silkies since you say she protects them.

Back
Top Bottom