Dog attack

countrydog54

In the Brooder
May 18, 2016
Yesterday evening a neighbor's dog got loose and invaded our coop. He killed most of our hens and chicks. This was HORRIBLE! Animal Control has collected the dog, but this morning we are faced with trying to move on. My sister found 3 hens alive outside behind the house, although there is no sign of the rooster. All survivors are inside the coop, but they basically are "frozen". They won't move, let alone go outside. Does anyone have suggestions for how to calm them?

I am so sorry to hear that!! I just lost my entire flock to a dog last week, but I didn't have any survivors to tend to. My gut says to baby them and leave them locked up for a few days with with some treats, some quiet, and TLC.

Thank you. That was my feeling too. A friend thought I should bring out a boombox and play some quiet music. But I was wondering if simple quiet is better?

We had a similar incident but it was our own dog. One of our girls got out of the run. We've had them for 3 years and they NEVER left the run area unless we let them. Yesterday I found our dog with one of girls. It was heartbreaking. The other 3 even though not near the incident Ms have sensed it or heard it and they have been skittish ever since. I hung out with them a little yesterday giving them some mealworms. I think it will take a few days for them to settle back in.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like your hens are in shock. Provide them with some poultry vitamins or electrolytes for a couple of days. Inspect each one for any cuts, bruises or wounds, sometimes chickens can injure themselves when frightened.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom