Dog Attack :(

Pics

Jessdesk

Chirping
Jun 3, 2017
It has been along time since I had to post, and we have had good luck the past year. But the last 3 or 4 nights something has been getting the gate open to our chicken pen, but not hurting the chickens. I locked it with karabiner last night so the latch couldn’t open, but this morning at sunrise my 9 month poodle puppy was going bananas.

I kept telling him to go back to bed, but he was really upset, so I got up. We live in a rural area and we have a lot of wild animals around. The next thing I know my 12 year old daughter is out the door in her pjs and chasing dogs through the back acreage, screaming and crying, with our Doberman & poodle in hot pursuit. I yelled for her to come back, but she wouldn’t stop, she ran out about 450 yards. The gate to our 25’ x 24’ pen was wide open with the gate hinge broken completely off. :O

After counting the chickens I knew one was gone, and then I hear my daughter returning. It was freezing outside, and I didn’t even have shoes, and she had no coat. She was carrying something back from the neighbour’s house, crying with our dogs following behind. Their dogs got our big rooster named Red the Rooster. My daughter was in hysterics, but when my Doberman got to those dogs they dropped Red and ran for it. My dobergirl is highly territorial and she won’t hesitate in attacking a whole pack of dogs... good thing for Red the rooster.

Poor guy is missing all the skin on his back from his tail to his hackles, he did his job and saved the hens, but he’s in a bad way. Unfortunately, I am in the process of ridding pantry moths from my pantry & have thrown away all my food/baking supplies. All I had left was unopened corn starch, so we started by cleaning his wound, and then covering with corn starch. This should create a good scab, but I’ve never dealt with any wound this extensive. Any advice? He is currently in my bathtub getting heat, while we setup an emergency crate inside the large pen & repair the metal gate. The picture is post-corn starching.

The dogs started coming back, so my husband shot a 12 gage at them and they retreated back home. I get so angry because so many people out here just leave their dogs to live outside with no fencing. People dump dog dogs & cats out here and the person on the next road (our properties) meet at the back, just take them in. They have 10 to 15 dogs all the time that just roam. My poodle doesn’t leave the grass yard and the Doberman gets 50’ of chain when she is outside (she likes to chase skunks, yuck). My dogs are in my house unless they are with me.

We have skunks, raccoons, foxes, coyotes, bobcats, and I have personally seen cougars & a black panther, and the ONLY issue we have ever had with our chickens and rabbits is someone’s damned domestic dogs! Sorry for the rant, but it gets me very upset.

Attachments

• DB46F1C4-913C-4193-9B69-8A5796854083.jpeg
    DB46F1C4-913C-4193-9B69-8A5796854083.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I take it you live in the country like I do so I can tell you the only way to stop dogs is to either shoot or trap them. I don’t shoot unless I catch them in the act. I haven’t had to for some years. The wound should be kept clean and give Bacitracin.

Try Manuka honey. It's wonderful for healing and you should be able to get it at your grocery store. It has amazing anti bacterial, anti viral and anti inflammatory properties. My avian vet recommended it for one of my hens. Poor guy. I'm sure he'll heal up just fine.

PS, I’m a total city girl gone country. I grew up in Wellington, NZ, but now I live in western Texas in the middle of NOWHERE, it’s great!

Ok thank you, I wasn’t sure if it was an injection. We have 3 feed stores, so I will go shopping. But have to fix the gate first, as this guy can’t stay in my bathtub. The smells and sounds won’t help I don’t think :love

You can buy antibiotic ointment at most stores and drug stores—plain Neosporin, Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Polysporin, or Others. For a dirty bite wound, you may want to disinfect the wound with betadine (povidone iodine) also from the first aid aisle of stores. Vetericyn Wound Spray alone or Chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) can also be used. After the initial disinfecting, you can use homemade or store bought normal saline to blot the wound using gauze or paper towel. Mix 2 tsp in a liter or quart of water, and boil on low in a saucepan, and store it in a jar. A spray bottle works well.

First clean the wound, dry it, and apply the antibiotic ointment twice a day. Look carefully for any hidden puncture wounds or cuts under wings, since the dogs may have had him in their teeth. Make sure that he drinks water once he is out of shock, then later offer some watery chicken feed, cooked egg, or tuna in small amounts. Keep us posted on how he is doing.

You won't believe this, but they can grow the skin and the feathers back. It's the craziest thing but I speak from experience. I had a hen get mauled by a dog - twice. Same dog, same hen. Because I could afford it back then I took her to the local vet, and that's what she told me. I can't remember what she told me to put on it except this: clean the wound with saline spray. She told me to put giant wound covering bandages over an antibacterial ointment but I can't remember which one. The result was all the skin and feathers grew back, both times. I went ballistic when the same dog got her the 2nd time. Needless to say the owner and I parted friendship.
I've had to use saline spray recently on a rooster's foot so now it's in their emergency kit.
As for attack prevention, here's what I've done as a result of a fox getting my birds:
A multi-level program works best. Relying on shooting a fox creates a new territory for a new fox. They're territorial and when one goes, another takes it's place. You could pick off all the dogs, but the neighbors will just keep "adopting" more.
Dogs learn from one another anyway, so it'd be a neverending process and we chicken owners get a "hostile disposition". No one needs that.
So.
I have a super good game camera and have caught the fox at midnight, 2 a.m., and 7 a.m. It'd be great if you knew exactly who you're dealing with - and when. Mine is wifi and I've set the app alarm to go off even at night so I can "respond".
Get that damn door reenforced like Fort Knox. That'll help alot :/ Alot of deaths could've been prevented if I hadn't been careless with security.
Get a water jet thing that sprays a hard jet of water when a dog gets within a preset range. Just don't forget to turn the spigot off when y'all are outside lol
COSTWAY Scarecrow Motion Activated Animal Repellent
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MF8Y2O4/?tag=backy-20

You won't believe this, but they can grow the skin and the feathers back. It's the craziest thing but I speak from experience. I had a hen get mauled by a dog - twice. Same dog, same hen. Because I could afford it back then I took her to the local vet, and that's what she told me. I can't remember what she told me to put on it except this: clean the wound with saline spray. She told me to put giant wound covering bandages over an antibacterial ointment but I can't remember which one. The result was all the skin and feathers grew back, both times. I went ballistic when the same dog got her the 2nd time. Needless to say the owner and I parted friendship.
I've had to use saline spray recently on a rooster's foot so now it's in their emergency kit.
As for attack prevention, here's what I've done as a result of a fox getting my birds:
A multi-level program works best. Relying on shooting a fox creates a new territory for a new fox. They're territorial and when one goes, another takes it's place. You could pick off all the dogs, but the neighbors will just keep "adopting" more.
Dogs learn from one another anyway, so it'd be a neverending process and we chicken owners get a "hostile disposition". No one needs that.
So.
I have a super good game camera and have caught the fox at midnight, 2 a.m., and 7 a.m. It'd be great if you knew exactly who you're dealing with - and when. Mine is wifi and I've set the app alarm to go off even at night so I can "respond".
Get that damn door reenforced like Fort Knox. That'll help alot :/ Alot of deaths could've been prevented if I hadn't been careless with security.
Get a water jet thing that sprays a hard jet of water when a dog gets within a preset range. Just don't forget to turn the spigot off when y'all are outside lol
COSTWAY Scarecrow Motion Activated Animal Repellent
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MF8Y2O4/?tag=backy-20

Chickens are very resilient!

Back
Top Bottom