Dog attack

Matzwd

Songster
5 Years
Apr 9, 2018
St Louis, Missouri
A neighbor's dog grabbed our silkie rooster and carried him off. He was lying 9n his back in the neighbor's yard when we found him. He is in shock, I am sure. I dont see any major injuries. He is standing, is missing lots of feathers and is holding his head up. This looks to be the worst of it as far as open wounds and looks like a surface wound. He is panting a lot, smacking his beak some, sneezing some, and standing still. What to clean wound with? Give supplements? He isn't ready to drink yet as it has only been 10 minutes. Should I force water now or wait?
20190505_153739.jpg

A neighbor's dog grabbed our silkie rooster and carried him off. He was lying 9n his back in the neighbor's yard when we found him. He is in shock, I am sure. I dont see any major injuries. He is standing, is missing lots of feathers and is holding his head up. This looks to be the worst of it as far as open wounds and looks like a surface wound. He is panting a lot, smacking his beak some, sneezing some, and standing still. What to clean wound with? Give supplements? He isn't ready to drink yet as it has only been 10 minutes. Should I force water now or wait?
View attachment 1764592
You can use vetrycyn or bluekote as antibiotics on the wound.

Could you show a whole body picture??
He are body shots. I only had Hibiclens, so I used that to clean the wound, which is a fairly deep puncture. Since I don't have triple antibiotic ointment without pain emitted, I used Bacitracin. I am going to look him over again to be sure the are no corresponding punctures underneath.
20190505_155551.jpg

20190505_160537.jpg

He are body shots. I only had Hibiclens, so I used that to clean the wound, which is a fairly deep puncture. Since I don't have triple antibiotic ointment without pain emitted, I used Bacitracin. I am going to look him over again to be sure the are no corresponding punctures underneath.
View attachment 1764622
View attachment 1764626
That would be a good idea, if hes able to stand on his own after a while then he should recover with some care on your part. My suggestion, find some good antibiotics (never used baitricin one mine so I know notinnothing about it) to put on, daily to keep infection away. And keep an eye to see if he starts eating and drinking. If he drinks but doesnt start eating again, you can use chicken food, make it kinda into a a thin slurry kinda thing in his water.

All of his tail feathers are out as well as most of his back feathers. Some of the underfluff is loose. Since he was on his back when found, I suspect he must have been grabbed on the underside, but I just can't find any injuries (pain and so much fluff). It clearly hurts when I handle him. I cleaned and treated what I can see and put him in the brooder box to rest.

I gave Blue Nutri-drench and dripped him some water lat night. I have to lift and move him to access him well enough to clean him up and drip water, etc. He hollars, and I am not sure whether this causes him to panic because he is afraid or if it hurts. I feel so bad for him! I did find a couple of more small punctures in his breast area, but there are probably more I am not seeing. He moved very little (a couple of inches) through the night, didn't eat or drink anything. I dripped him Nutri-drench and water again this morning. I just scrambled him an egg, and he is eating it. He has had one fairly large, normal looking poop since the incident.

Questions:
1) What is the appropriate dose and frequency for Nutri-drench?
2) Should I give an oral antibiotic to prevent infection? I have fish mox and tylan on hand.
3) How long does shock usually last? I am specifically wondering how long before I should see him moving around before assuming there are internal injuries.

Oh, and my husband went and talked to the neighbor (several houses away, rural setting) about his dogs, and he was very responsive, agreeing to keep them confined, apologizing, and offering compensation (which we did not accept). We had known our own dog had gotten into a fight here in the yard because we heard the raucous, and my husband chased the dog away. It was a few minutes before we realized Blue was not with the girls and went looking for him. Apparently, Zelda, our dog saved Blue from certain death by attacking the neighbor dog, causing him to drop our Blue. I have always been upset that we have super territorial dogs, but not today. You can see the spot where poor Blue was first grabbed because of the huge pile of feathers. Then there is a 25 foot trail of feathers and then another large pile, just in the neighbor's yard where we found him.

Back
Top Bottom