Dog badly tore nail, what to do?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
After a walk today, I noticed that our one year old Lab Ember tore her nail pretty badly. Its stopped bleeding, but almost looks as if the nail was busted all the way up over the quick, and partly detached from the toe. It looks pretty rough, its definitly bothering her, she stopped and looked back at it as she started walking just a minute ago. I feel so bad for her, I'm sure it hurts.
Photos-
IMG_3862.jpg

IMG_3865.jpg

What should I do for her? Not sure if you can see in this photo, but the nail is busted upward, and I think over the quick. You can sort of see the butt of the nail sticking up off the toe in the back. Its hard to see, but hopefully you can get the idea.
What should I do? Normally I would super glue a small tear, and it would heal. For this I'm not sure. I don't want it to get caught on anything and tear the rest of the way off causing more damage. Should I wrap it? Would a wrap just irritate the injury more? I'm afraid it might rub against the nail, that would hurt pretty good I'm sure. If I wrapped it and avoided rubbing, would it heal? Should I remove the nail? If so, I'm not sure how I would, or if I should do that. I would be concerned about exposing the quick to more damage.
Thanks for the help everyone, I hope I can find a solution for her soon.

I had this happen twice to my boxer and I called the vet and he pulled it off. It was causing more pain by moving over the raw flesh. I’m not sure if I would do it myself, but you could call the vets and ask if that would be for the best. Good luck.

We had that happen with one of our dogs. We ended up taking her to the vet, and it required a surgical procedure. Not cheap, but fixed the issue.

Not sure if you can fix this yourself, but I'd like to see what the experts have to say.

We had that happen with one of our dogs. We ended up taking her to the vet, and it required a surgical procedure. Not cheap, but fixed the issue.

Not sure if you can fix this yourself, but I'd like to see what the experts have to say.
Okay, I was wondering that as well, if this is a situation for a vet. We were already planning on going into town tomorrow, so I'll call the vet and see if we can get an appointment. I'm not sure what I would do about it on my own.
Thanks for the help guys!

I would definitely cone her. Poor girl, that looks like it hurts! The cone will make sure she doesn't make it worse while you're not watching (it can happen quickly). If you have Vetricyn I'd recommend spraying that on there. Then cover with bandage, and then wrap in vet wrap. Without the cone she'll probably try to tear that off, she might still get to it with the cone depending. I'm not a vet but when my dogs have had cuts on their feet/paws this is what the vet recommended until they could be seen.

How’s she doing?
Thanks for reminding me to update. :p

She's good! She did have to get surgery to remove the nail unfortunately. Its been wrapped for the last few days, but that can come off tomorrow evening. She's been on antibiotics as well to make sure it doesn't get infected. She was pretty bummed yesterday, no body likes sedation. She's doing much better today, this little lady is a trooper. ☺️
IMG_3883.jpg

Thanks for reminding me to update. :p

She's good! She did have to get surgery to remove the nail unfortunately. Its been wrapped for the last few days, but that can come off tomorrow evening. She's been on antibiotics as well to make sure it doesn't get infected. She was pretty bummed yesterday, no body likes sedation. She's doing much better today, this little lady is a trooper. ☺️
View attachment 3104832
Awesome. She’s adorable!

Back
Top Bottom