Dog Eating Chicken Poop

My GP's eat it all..... often they don't even wait for it to hit the ground...........
sickbyc.gif
They also don't like to eat dog food.... they try and eat hay, sweet feed and chicken food.....
idunno.gif

Glad to know this is normal. I had a black lab that didn't go near it, but our new pup, a Jack-a-bee, LOVES it. Also glad to know it won't hurt him.

I was wondering, however, is there anything you can do to stop it - besides the correction? I'm correcting, but I feel I need a little help. For example, I've read that if you put meat tenderizer in your dog's food, they will not eat their own poop - makes it taste bad or something. Is there anything I could add to my chicken feed that might have the same effect?

Thanks!!

OMG and I thought I was the only one
lau.gif
:lau we take the dogs out the front door now, as the chickens have the back yard, it drives me nuts but Im pretty sure thats why my dog got so sick she almost died. vet said to not let my dog near it, so soon Im fencing the chickens in there own part of the yard and the dogs in theres. its a hassle using the front door, my dogs try constantly to run off.

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I remember hearing that if your dog eats its own poop to feed it pineapples. It is suppose to make the poop taste bad. Maybe feed your chickens pineapples so that their poop taste bad to your dog?

Quote:
I would think poop would already taste bad? Guess they don't like seasoning on their snacks
lol.png
lau.gif

Both my dogs will eat as much as they can find. Chicken, cat, cow, or any wild animal droppings. I tried correcting but finally got frustrated and gave up after a few months of trying to break the habit. If they want to eat it, then fine. Just don't come to me for any doggie kisses.

Last edited:
I had a yellow lab mix that ate chicken poop regularly for 15 years. She was fine. She ate wild turkey poop too. She eventually got old and died, but it was nothing to do with eating poop. Just keep the dog out of it if It has any meds or chemicals in it, and appreciate the cleanup crew.lol Do keep your dog on a regular worming schedule though!

Back
Top Bottom